Options

Unable to detect base monitor/corrupt memory error.

EngadaSQLEngadaSQL Posts: 6
edited March 22, 2013 5:27AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I've come back for a second attempt at getting a trial of SQL monitor up and running in my organisation (first attempt was a year or so ago and didn't quite go to plan so was aborted)

I've installed all components of the monitor version 3.2 on my desktop machine - Windows 8 64 bit, IIS 8, SQL server 2012 SP1.

When I navigate to the website in my browser I get an unable to detect base monitor error. I've confirmed firstly in task manager that the base monitor server is running, I've confirmed secondly using sysinternals TCPView utility that it is listening on port 7399 and that that port is open on my firewall (windows firewall).

If I click on the connect to base monitor button, leaving the details as they are since they are correct, It returns an error "Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt." - This error appearing next to the base monitor computer input box.

Any thoughts on what might be causing this error? I had similar problems the first time around - refer to post http://www.red-gate.com/MessageBoard/viewtopic.php?t=13673&highlight=

Comments

• Options
    The below is what appears in the Website.log file under c:\ProgramData\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Monitor 3
    2013-03-21 05:46:49,433 [              9] ERROR RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.DependencyInjection.BmConnectionWebDependencies - Failed to establish RPC connection to base monitor
    #9GOc.#dkv: Couldn't connect to Base Monitor ---> System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder._TermCreateClass(Int32 handle, Module module)
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.CreateTypeNoLock()
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.CreateType()
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.Generators.Emitters.AbstractTypeEmitter.BuildType()
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.Generators.InterfaceProxyWithTargetGenerator.GenerateCode(Type proxyTargetType, Type[] interfaces, ProxyGenerationOptions options)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget(Type interfaceToProxy, Type[] additionalInterfacesToProxy, ProxyGenerationOptions options, IInterceptor[] interceptors)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget(Type interfaceToProxy, IInterceptor interceptor)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget[TInterface](IInterceptor interceptor)
       at RedGate.Response.Common.Networking.Client.RpcProxyGenerator.GetProxy[#ixY](#Yjv , #WS4b )
       at RedGate.Response.Common.Networking.Client.RpcProxyGenerator.GetProxy[#ixY](#Yjv )
       at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnection..ctor(ProxyGenerator proxyGenerator, X509Certificate certificate, BaseMonitorLocation location, Func`2 isStateOk)
       --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
       at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnection..ctor(ProxyGenerator proxyGenerator, X509Certificate certificate, BaseMonitorLocation location, Func`2 isStateOk)
       at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.BaseMonitorConnectionFactory.Build()
       at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.DependencyInjection.BmConnectionWebDependencies.TryInitRpc()
    2013-03-21 05:46:49,459 [              9] WARN  RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.TestBaseMonitorConnection - Couldn't connect to base monitor location: BaseMonitorLocation(localhost:7399)
    System.AccessViolationException: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder._TermCreateClass(Int32 handle, Module module)
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.CreateTypeNoLock()
       at System.Reflection.Emit.TypeBuilder.CreateType()
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.Generators.Emitters.AbstractTypeEmitter.BuildType()
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.Generators.InterfaceProxyWithTargetGenerator.GenerateCode(Type proxyTargetType, Type[] interfaces, ProxyGenerationOptions options)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget(Type interfaceToProxy, Type[] additionalInterfacesToProxy, ProxyGenerationOptions options, IInterceptor[] interceptors)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget(Type interfaceToProxy, IInterceptor interceptor)
       at Castle.DynamicProxy.ProxyGenerator.CreateInterfaceProxyWithoutTarget[TInterface](IInterceptor interceptor)
       at RedGate.Response.Common.Networking.Client.RpcProxyGenerator.GetProxy[#ixY](#Yjv , #WS4b )
       at RedGate.Response.Common.Networking.Client.RpcProxyGenerator.GetProxy[#ixY](#Yjv )
       at RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Infrastructure.TestBaseMonitorConnection.Test(BaseMonitorLocation location)

• Options
    Thank you for your post.

Can you confirm whether you have the Visual Studio Debugger running? and does disabling it make any difference to the behaviour?

Can you also ensure that you have the latest release installed, it is currently version 3.2.1 and can be downloaded here. It could be that one of the website files that IIS is trying to access has been corrupted.
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SqlM ... .1.231.zip

Please let me know how you get on or if you have any questions.