Options

Can't do a compare

mrstoobinsmrstoobins Posts: 4
edited January 8, 2006 10:22AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I assume this is a common problem but haven't found an answer in the knowledge base or faq sections. I pick two servers and their databases without a problem then click compare and get an error:

"Unknown Problem (-1)".

The .net framework and mdac versions look fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the software (evaluation). Eventvwr doesn't have any information that points to a problem I can troubleshoot. Any thoughts?

thanks,

Todd

[/img]

Comments

• Options
    Hello Todd,

I'm sorry to say this is a new problem for me, and don't know what the cause could be. Does the comparison get past the registering databases bit, or does it error while registring databases? What is the last thing that you see before it goes wrong?
  • Options
    I'm able to register the servers/databases as I get the databases from the drop downs. I then click compare and get the error message.

Here's what you get from event viewer:

Unknown Error (-1).

Server stack trace:
    at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean useAsync, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode)
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.BlobStore.Initialize()
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.BlobStore..ctor()
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database.SetupPrivateVariables(Options options)
    at RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine.Database.Register(ConnectionProperties connectionProperties, Options options)
    at _3._4()
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.PrivateProcessMessage(MethodBase mb, Object[] args, Object server, Int32 methodPtr, Boolean fExecuteInContext, Object[]& outArgs)
    at System.Runtime.Remoting.Messaging.StackBuilderSink.AsyncProcessMessage(IMessage msg, IMessageSink replySink)

Exception rethrown at [0]:
    at RedGate.SQL.Controls.ProgressDialog.Run(ICancellable executor, ProgressDialogStart startMethod)
    at RedGate.SQL.Controls.ProgressDialogWrapper.RunEx()
    at RedGate.SQL.Controls.ProgressDialogWrapper.Run()
  • Options
    Hi,

Can you tell me where your temp directory is please. You can find this out by going to a command line prompt and typing SET to see what the TMP and TEMP variables are set to.
    - Neil Davidson
    Red Gate Software Ltd
  • Options
    It's on c:\documents and settings\<login>\local setttings
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello,

Sorry about the delay. I think that the problem could be that there isn't enough space on the disk to store the schema objects. Either that, or there is a permissions problem. Since the stack trace makes it look like the software can't even manage to open the temporary storage file, I'd look into your permissions to the folder pointed to by TMP.

Next, check the amount of free space on c:.

If all else fails, try running the Windows disk cleanup utility on drive c:. Tell it to clean up the temporary files, and that should also rid you of the possibility that the software is attempting to allocate a temporary file that already exists.
This discussion has been closed.