Can I ignore RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml in source control?

Christian SpechtChristian Specht Posts: 2
edited March 18, 2013 11:51AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
I don't need this file and I don't mind it being there, but it clutters up our source control history.
Nearly every time we change something in the database, there are changes like this in RedGateDatabaseInfo.xml:

<None />

to:
<None>
</None>

Or from:
<DatabaseInformation>

to:
<DatabaseInformation Version="2">

So: do we even need to commit this file at all? I would prefer to delete it from the repository and ignore it in the future.

Thank you!

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I don't think it would be a good idea to try to remove this file. In addition to storing any information about static table data you've linked, it states the format of the subdirectories where scripts for types of SQL objects are kept, database collations, versioning, and other things that would affect how the comparisons between live databases and source controlled scripts are done.

At any rate I believe if you tried to delete it, SQL Source Control would re-create it on the next get latest/commit changes. It's part of the metadata needed so SQL Source Control and SQL Compare can function correctly.

I don't think there will be many more changes in the information in this file, so hopefully you won't notice it very much in the future.