New to SQL Source Control - how to get initial source commit
How do I get a scripted copy of my database(s) into trunk?
Typically, trunk is reserved for merging changes INTO from other branches.
So in a typical scenario, I would branch code off to one of the branches, then make changes there. Ive been going through some of the examples on the red gate site, but am still a bit confused with "linking".
ie, http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... Setting_up
Say I have a local instance and I have also made a branch of the code from trunk to work on.
How do I get this initial copy into trunk
How do I point my local db at my branched code?
I created a test branch, and managed to link my local instance to this path. I made a simple procedure change, committed the change, then checked the branch. Nothing there?
This is the work flow I am hoping I can achieve:
- create an initial copy of several databases in trunk (how?)
- branch this code to make changes within the branch
- the branch will be checked out locally and used against a local instance of the given database
- merge changes back into trunk
- apply changes from trunk to target database on a different server