SQL Prompt Error with TextMgrP.dll Registration

gvar369gvar369 Posts: 20
edited September 23, 2014 1:03PM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
Been getting this error when i start SSMS 2008 R2 or VS 2012.
SQL Prompt has been disabled due to an error with the registration of a required DLL - TextMgrP.dll. To resolve the error, repair SQL Server Management Studio or Visual Studio from the Windows Control Panel.

Please advise,

Thanks,
Vijay

Comments

• Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Many thanks for your post gvar369 and apologies for inconvenience caused.

For some unknown reason, SQL Server Management Studio installations have been unravelling and deleting the interface that Prompt need to get access to the query window.

Running this from a Command Prompt as administrator should fix it:
    regsvr32 "%commonprogramfiles%\microsoft shared\msenv\textmgrp.dll" 

Kindly let us know if this fixed the problem.
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Thanks Anuradha. Your solution worked. I had to make a small tweek to the command, to be able to execute on a 64-bit machine.
    Instead of %commonprogramfiles% i had to specify the exact file location which was located in "program files x86" directory.

--
    Vijay
  • Anu DAnu D Posts: 876 Silver 3
    Thanks for the confirmation and I am glad that the solution worked.

I will make a note regarding the x86 folder.

Is there anything else I can help you with?
    Anuradha Deshpande
    Product Support
    Redgate Software Ltd.
    E-mail: support@red-gate.com
  • Worked for me as well but had to change to x86 like most of the users here.
  • Having the same issue, it appears that this was caused by installation of Team Foundation Services 2008.
    DLL location was also not correct like others mentioned the following is the command I used.
    regsvr32 "C:Program Files (x86)Common Filesmicrosoft sharedMSEnv	extmgrp.dll"

Note: When launching cmd window use shift+RightClick and choose run as admiinistrator

The error I got on the first try was:
      <DLL file> was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x80070005
  • KathyCKathyC Posts: 1 New member
    I just updated from 19.0.1 to 19.0.2 and got this error. I was told to open command prompt as admin then run this command to register the dll (make sure it exists in this location first), and it works great now: regsvr32 "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio 19\Common7\IDE\Automation\TextMgrP.dll"