Options

microsoft.Visualbasic.powerpacks error in 3.1.4.72

wtjoneswtjones Posts: 21
I just upgraded to 3.1.4.72 from a fresh install and I get this when I try to 'edit comparison options'

Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs, Version=10.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

I installed the vb powerpack 3 but it did not fix the issue.

Comments

• Options
    I was able to work around this by copying Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll to the Redgate folder.

I obtained this from my VS 2010 installation at C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\VBPowerPacks\v10.0\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll

Redgate may want to bundle this into the installer :wink:
  • Options
    I installed VisualBasic Power Pack 3.5 from this URL: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=25169

On my 64-bit machine, it installed it here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Basic 2005 Power Packs\3.0

I copied the file to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 3

Did not work in SSMS. Without removing the above copy, also copied it to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Data Compare 10

Still did not work. I suppose I should also mention I shutdown SSMS each time. There was also a companion XML file which I also tried copying.

Suggestions?
  • Options
    antiRevantiRev Posts: 2 Bronze 1
    The link supplied above is for version 3, it needs to be v3.5 which internally is v10, v3.0 is 9

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=145727&clcid=0x804
  • Options
    here is how I got around this error.... it was made difficult because the target machine doesn't have Studio installed meaning that the gacutil.exe wasn't installed either:

- Copied "Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll" from my development machine to our development SQL server (Windows 2008 R2).. it's in C:\Temp

- open a command prompt as "Run as Administrator"

- C:>explorer C:\Windows\assembly

- that will open an explorer window there

- go back to the command prompt and now type:

- C:>explorer C:\Temp

- that will open a second window

- drag the DLL from the second explorer window to the first and the DLL will be in the GAC !

Works !!

If you try to navigate around in the first explorer window you will "lose" your permissions, so just open two.... gotta love Windows....
  • Options
    THINKS FOR SHEARING THIS

I was able to work around this by copying Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll to the Redgate folder.
    I obtained this from my VS 2010 installation at C:\Program Files (x86)\Reference Assemblies\Microsoft\VBPowerPacks\v10.0\Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.Vs.dll