Options

Job Failed still active after cluster failovers - Job is OK

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited February 25, 2013 4:54AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Regular patching occurred. The job was running at the time and the detail page states "The job was stopped prior to completion by Shutdown Sequence 0."

SQL Monitor popped up a Medium severity, Job Failure Event.

Patching has been complete for about 12 hours.

The job has executed successfully every 15 minutes since the final fail-back to the preferred node.

SQL Monitor still shows this as an ACTIVE EVENT, which is false.

It appears that SQL Monitor could interrogate the cause of the failure and if it is a "shutdown 0", monitor the next execution for "success" and END the Event.

Would Red Gate please consider this to eliminate future false-positives?

Thanks.
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    Hi PDinCA,

Job Failure alerts are event alert i.e. there is no state associated with it. The way they work is that if a job failure happens then SQL Monitor raises an alert. When the next job failure happens then there will be another instance for this alert. This is different from some other alerts like 'Processor utilization' which are continuous alert and have a state associated with them. These alert will remain 'Active' if the alert condition still exists and would be marked as 'Ended'.

Hope this explains it. If you need more information about both these types of alert then you can find it here.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    IMO this isn't helpful of SQL Monitor.

If SQL Monitor looked at the next execution and saw it was successful, simply "End" the Event and I won't have to login to the server, fire up SSMS, expand SQL Agent, fire up the Job Monitor, locate the job... See what I mean - a whole load of manual effort for something SO EASY for SQL Monitor to handle...

Enhancement Request hereby lodged - I CANNOT add it to User Voice as I HAVE NO VOTES LEFT :(
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    Hi PDinCA,

We are checking if we can assign more votes to you.

Thanks,
    Priya
    Priya Sinha
    Project Manager
    Red Gate Software