Options

Option to "Commit all dependencies (recommended)"

anna.panna.p Posts: 34 New member
Hello,

When you try to commit something that has dependencies you get the window that pops up with the list of dependent objects giving you the option to commit them as well. I'm wondering 2 things:

1. What is the purpose of going ahead and committing the listed dependencies?

2. How exactly does SSC decide what dependencies to list?

Thanks much!

Comments

• Options
    In some cases, not committing the dependencies could mean that the database held (as files) in source control comprise an invalid database. This could mean in some cases that another user failing in the 'get latest' operation.

The workaround would be to manually fix up the "invalidness" in source control before trying to "get latest" again, but that's something that would best be avoided.

SQL Source Control builds up a dependency tree of your database to determine the objects that reference the object in question.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    We're using a shared database model. Does it have any use in that environment?

Also, does the list of "recommended objects" include ones that are waiting to be committed and ones that haven't changed since the last commit? This seems to be the case, I just want to make sure.
  • Options
    Yes, in as much that if you deploy from source control with, say, SQL Compare, you'd want to do so from a valid repository. However, this is unlikely to be problematic as the fix would be to commit the offending objects.

It should only offer those objects that have changed. Are there objects in the list that don't exist in the commit list? That would be a bug which you should report to support@red-gate.com

David
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure I've seen it happen. I remember being curious about it, checking, then becoming confused. If I see it again I'll report it.

Thanks very much!