Options

SQL Source Control 3.1 Failed to load or caused an exception

I get this every time i launch ssms. It affects all versions of ssms. It started after the upgrade to 3.1.0.5208. I've tried to reinstall. Reverting to the previous version works.

Comments

• Options
    SSC 3.1.0.5208
    SQL Server 10.50.4000

I have the same issue! After upgrading to 3.1.0.5208 I cannot work anymore. The following error occurs (translated):
    The assembly "RedGate.SQLSourceControl.AtomicIO, Version=3.1.0.4829, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57" cannot be found.

Also uninstalling SSC, rebooting and installing 3.1.0.5208 did not succeed!

Please provide a link to download the version 3.1.0.4829!
  • Options
    ScottAScottA Posts: 9 Bronze 2
    I've just had this problem also. Error comes up in SQL 208 R2 and 2012 management studio when loading.

The event log has a lot of the following from the source "SQL Source Control 3" and "SQL Test 1"

#QEc.#mRA
    #1:Failed to load assembly RedGate.SQLPrompt.SSMSUIfw4.resources.resources, Version=5.3.6.28, Culture=en-US, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57

Broke my golden rule of doing an upgrade when I actually needed to do a UAT update and needed to generate some scripts, it's a testament to Redgate though as I'm so used to their upgrades working flawlessly that i didn't give it a second thought!
  • Options
    You can download SQL Source Control 3.1.0.4829 here:
    ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLS ... 0.4829.exe

That event log error isn't really important - SQL Prompt and SQL Test log a lot of errors like that, but they're quite resilient, so if those products don't actually throw an error to the user then it's nothing to worry about. We're looking into the SQL Source Control error now - I'll let you know as soon as I have an update for you.
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • Options
    Got the prompt to upgrade SQL Source Control and did it. Now, none of my databases are linked to source control, and if I try to link them, I get:
    Unable to find assembly 'RedGate.SQLSourceControl.AtomicIO, Version=3.1.2.33, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57'.
    A rollback to a previous version of SQL Source Control still gives the same error.
  • Options
    Hi Vic,

I downgraded to 3.0 which brought it all back for me.
  • Options
    Any salient information any of you can provide would be really helpful - unfortunately, this is a fairly generic Windows error, which means SQL Source Control is crashing before it loads far enough to give a useful error message or stack trace.

We're doing our best to track this error down, and we've logged it in our internal bug-tracking system as SOC-4649. Since it's not affecting everyone and we can't reproduce it, we're not getting very far, so any information you can provide at all would be helpful - your OS, version of SSMS, any details about how you were using SQL Source Control, or anything else you think might be relevant. Thanks for your help!
    Andy Campbell Smith

• Options
    Thanks Scott, I will try to downgrade to 3.0 in a minute if I can find it somewhere. The redgate previous versions download page only has a 2.2 as the latest for Source Control.

Andy, ok, here is some info:
    Win7 Enterprise, SP1
    SSMS ver 10.0.5512.0
    We use SSC with mercurial in a shared database env. I pick my source control folder and click the link button... it always gets to 10% then gets this error.
  • Options
    Ah, right - Vic, I think you're seeing a different error to the one in the original post of this thread, which is where SQL Source Control crashes instantly upon loading SSMS. Your error is SOC-3914, which is a considerably rarer error, but we should actually be able to make some progress with your one, since we get a stack trace when it throws the error.

It looks like that error is because we're trying to load the wrong version of one of the SQL Source Control components - I'd guess this is from a failed install, but if you tried rolling back to a previous version that ought to have fixed it. Can I get you to completely uninstall SQL Source Control and try installing the latest version again, making sure to right-click the installer and run as Administrator? The installer for the newest version is here:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLS ... 1.3.26.exe

If that doesn't fix it we'll need to start digging around to figure out what went wrong in that install. Your case is particularly interesting, because it looks like you're trying to load a newer version of the component than the version of SQL Source Control you've got installed, which shouldn't ever happen.

I'm logging you a support ticket now so we don't clutter up this thread - you should get a confirmation email very soon. If we could continue troubleshooting this by email that'd be great, just so we don't get confused with two separate issues in this thread.
    Andy Campbell Smith

• Options
    Thanks Andy. I've tried the 3.1.3.26.exe and the install completes successfully, but the problem still persists. Further replies on this issue via email.

Scott, FYI, a downgrade to 3.0 did not help me, but 2.2 did help. However, any attempts to upgrade to any 3.x version do not help me link dbs to source control.
  • Options
    Any progress on this?
  • Options
    I've got the same issue. In SQL 2008 R2 SSMS I was prompted to upgrade from 3.0.13.4214 to 3.1.4.72. After doing this (install ran successfully), every time I open SSMS I get the error "The Add-in 'SQL Source Control 3.1' failed to load or caused an exception......Error Message: <Unknown Error> Error number: 80131500". Uninstalling and then reinstalling 3.0.13.4214 gets me back in business. Let me know if there is additional information I can send you...
  • Options
    We've found that others in my department encounter the same issue when upgrading. Could it have to do with us not having a subscription to some of the latest versions?
  • Options
    I just upgraded to 3.2 thinking this might have been sorted but the issue still remains in this build.

I'll need to reinstall 3.0 again to now as I need this working but am happy to send through any debug info / run any tests to get this sorted ASAP.

I am also using SQL 2008 R2, 64bit windows 8.

Cheers,
  • Options
    Doing some digging on my own, I found that there was an issue in the past with redgate tools and another ssms application called SSMS Tools which I also use. So far uninstalling SSMS Tools didn't help, but perhaps its leftover from other tools we tried before deciding on redgate. I'm wondering if anyone else who is having this issue has other plugins enabled in SSMS?

As Scott mentioned, i'd be willing to capture crash dumps or run tests to help track this down I just need to know what to do.
  • Options
    Bump!

Can this item be made a priority? I'm looking forward to some of the new features since 3.1 and am completely blocked from installing the new version with this error (the 'keep the selections when navigating away and coming back to the commit window' one alone should save me quite a lot of time)

As previously mentioned am happy to assist in diagnosing the issue if you guys can't reproduce it.

Also - Sproatba, I'm not using any (non redgate) SSMS plugins and haven't had any installed since my last rebuild a while ago.

Cheers,
  • Options
    The latest version 3.4 installed correctly for me. No more crash on startup.
  • Options
    acrawfordacrawford Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    I was good until I installed 3.4.2.61. It seems there is some version mismatch? Below is my error.

Unable to find assembly 'RedGate.SQLSourceControl.AtomicIO, Version=3.4.1.73, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=7f465a1c156d4d57'.
  • Options
    acrawfordacrawford Posts: 13 Bronze 2
    My issue is solved now, support sent me this:

Hi,

Thank you for submitting an error report.

Your problem is a known issue and we recommend trying the following as a workaround:
    1. Delete the contents of this folder in your user profile:
    %userprofile%\AppData\Local\Red Gate\sql source control 3\generic\journal 2. Check any repository folders you are using for source control and delete any files called _lock_redgate

Previously-failed transactions may remain from a previous installation of SQL Source Control. This should remove them permanently.

If the advice above does not resolve your problem, and you would like us to investigate the issue further, please reply to this email and we will log a support ticket.