Options

Update from version 3.0 to 3.2 port error

hangeleshangeles Posts: 6
edited November 30, 2012 10:00AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
running the installer for version 3.2 to upgrade from version 3.0. when i get the base Monitor port number test, it says the port is unavailable. This is obviously true since the old install is using it. Am i missing a step here? is the installer not able to pick up the older version and upgrade it?

Comments

• Options
    The installer stops and disables the old version but if something is keeping a handle on the service, it is unable to overwrite with the new version. The services.msc app is particularly annoying in this respect. If that's open then close it and retry the installation.

I have seen the issue but it always seems to resolve itself. Are you still having problems?

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    The installer never offers to update the previous install. I have to manually select 'Use existing IIS Web Server', which I thought would get detected.

I still get the 'port is not available' error
  • Options
    Our installer just overwrites the existing files. The only real 'upgrade' done is to the data repository. The way this works could definitely be improved.

What version of IIS have you got out of interest? As far as I'm aware, the IIS auto-detection has worked fairly well in the past.

Would it be possible for check services.msc to see if "SQL Monitor 3 Base Monitor" is still running? If it is it could be worth stopping it before retrying the installer. The installer should be disabling this service but it doesn't appear to be working correctly in your case.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Thanks Chris, I did not realize I had to manually turn off the service. I was expecting the installer to handle that. After that, the install worked as expected.
  • Options
    Yes the installer definitely should handle that but it's possible that we have a bug that means that occasionally it doesn't.

Good to hear the install worked eventually :)

Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate