embedded resource not found after using RCaE option

ISDeveloperISDeveloper Posts: 4
edited December 7, 2012 5:40AM in SmartAssembly
I have a website .dll which has an embedded resource of a .js file. If I use the Smart Assembly option of Resources Compression and Encryption, then when the website is activated I get a message stating:

Assembly xx.xxx contains a web resource with name xxx, but does not contain an embedded resource with name xxx.

If I do not use this option, everything works fine. We want to use this option to ensure that the .js code is completely encrypted so that it can't be read.

Is there something that I might be missing?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Thanks for your message relating to Smartassembly.
    Could you please give an example of how you're referencing the resource in your code? If you're using any type of reflection mechanism, it won't work as the resource has been renamed.

Also, what version of Smartassembly are you using?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Example:

A snippet from the login .aspx:

<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager" runat="server">
    <CompositeScript>
    <Scripts>
    <asp:ScriptReference Name="MC.WebSite.Scripts.MTJavascript.js" Assembly="MC.WebSite" />
    </Scripts>
    </CompositeScript>
    </asp:ScriptManager>

From the .aspx.cs code-behind for the login page

protected void Page_Init(object sender, EventArgs e)
    {
    BtnLogin.Attributes.Add("onClick", "return MyJavascript.setBusy(30);");
    }

We are running Smart Assembly version 6.70.239
  • Sorry for the delay in replying, I never got an email from the forums telling me you'd posted.

My guess would be that because you're referencing the .js by name in a string, this is incorrect due to renaming once the .js resource is embedded, as it gets renamed.

I'm not sure of any workaround for this- if you reference a resource directly in code, then Smartassembly will rewrite the reference to the new name so it works, but in your case you're accessing it via a String and I don't think we'll touch that.

I'll see if anyone knows of a workaround and update.

Redgate Software

• Thanks for the help.
  • I'm not sure we have much else in the way of ideas so far; it may well be a limitation of the tool combined with your particular code. If you can create a small sample that demonstrates the issue I'm able to have a bit more of a play with it to see if there's anything else we can suggest though? If this is possible, you can mail it across to support@red-gate.com quoting F0067202 in the subject.

Redgate Software