Options

Timeline is not displaying the graph

When I do profiling, the graph for the CPU Usage or anything...is not displayed. But other data are captured.

It was working fine till some time back. Any guess?

Comments

• Options
    Hi,
    Do you mean you cannot see the graph at all? Or it's there but has nothing in? Do you get results in the main code window? A screenshot or two may be useful so I can see what you're looking at...

Feel free to either post here or email it to support@red-gate.com quoting ref. F0066589 in the subject line.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    I'm having a similar issue. I can't see the graph because the y-axis is pinned at 1. E.g. 1% or 1 thread for any of the views. See the screenshot

https://www.dropbox.com/s/84d0y2ncff286ka/ANTSProfiler.png

I've looked in %APPDATA% and the registry to see if there settings that control this. Nothing obvious.

Thanks, Jim
  • Options
    Thanks for the screenshot.

So when I test, it starts out at 1%, but once profiling is complete it'll go up to include 100% and display the graph.

One possibility is if it had trouble collecting the performance counters - if you run Perfmon do you see performance figures OK? If you check the ANTS logfile (Help > Open Log Folder) are there any errors around collecting the perfmon metrics?

Redgate Software

• Options
    Hi

What do you mean by PerfMon? Is that the Performance Profiler, or a different tool?

I see results from the profiler, (hot methods, time in methods, etc). Just the graph appears to be broken. However it's difficult to profile hot sections without being able to see when the CPU usage is high within a session.

The log shows an exception:

[code]
    07 Jan 2013 15:13:19.104 [108] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Counters.PerformanceCounterSource - Unable to create performance counter '% Processor Time'. The reported exception indicates that this could be due to corrupted performance counter configuration: Input string was not in a correct format.
    07 Jan 2013 15:13:19.107 [108] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Counters.PerformanceCounterSource - Input string was not in a correct format.
    07 Jan 2013 15:13:19.109 [108] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Counters.PerformanceCounterSource - System.FormatException
    07 Jan 2013 15:13:19.111 [108] ERROR RedGate.Profiler.Engine.Startup.Counters.PerformanceCounterSource - at System.Number.StringToNumber(String str, NumberStyles options, NumberBuffer& number, NumberFormatInfo info, Boolean parseDecimal)
    at System.Number.ParseInt32(String s, NumberStyles style, NumberFormatInfo info)
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.GetStringTable(Boolean isHelp)
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_NameTable()
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.get_CategoryTable()
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String category, String counter, Boolean& categoryExists)
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounterLib.CounterExists(String machine, String category, String counter)
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter.Initialize()
    at System.Diagnostics.PerformanceCounter..ctor(String categoryName, String counterName, String instanceName, Boolean readOnly)
    at ???.???.
  • Options
    Those are the sort of errors I was thinking of. Perfmon is the tool that comes with Windows for monitoring various system metrics. We use these counters for various things, including the graph I believe.

To test it, simply go Start > Run, and type in 'perfmon'. You can then graph cpu usage by adding the Processor (%Processor time) counter. If that doesn't work, your performance counters are broken and need to be rebuilt

Redgate Software

• Options
    Thanks, that appears to be it.

BTW, I used this method http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... 0810000316 to reset the counters. The MS KB article involves pulling items off the install media and seemed a bit overkill.

- Jim
  • Options
    Oops, I forgot we had our own notes on that ... :roll:

Redgate Software