Options

Repeating LRQ Alert that persissts (ACTIVE) All day long

EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 134 Silver 1
edited December 4, 2012 2:51PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Does SQL Monitor raise an LRQ Alert on the Stored Procedure ‘sp_trace_Getdata’ for you? It does for us and not only one LRQ but 2 HIGH level LRQ alerts which persist at an ACTIVE status all day long and re-appear each and every day. In short this is an LRQ that never ends. It goes to an inactive status only when the SQL Server hosting the DB’s is restarted/rebooted. But as soon as the server is back up and 120 seconds have passed these same 3 LRQ alerts re-appear.

Does anyone else find this odd? Have you had run-ins with this SP?

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

sp_trace_Getdata is used by SQL Profiler. Do you have the trace feature of SQL Monitor enabled (which is running SQL Profiler to obtain the trace data)?
    Or are you or a colleague been running SQL Profiler outside of SQL Monitor to collect information and forgotton to turn off the SQL Profiler?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Hi

Thank you for your forum post.

sp_trace_Getdata is used by SQL Profiler. Do you have the trace feature of SQL Monitor enabled (which is running SQL Profiler to obtain the trace data)?
    Or are you or a colleague been running SQL Profiler outside of SQL Monitor to collect information and forgotton to turn off the SQL Profiler?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

No we are not using profiler and the 3 instances of this LRQ alert being captured dialy are not the default background trace that SQL Server runs; in other words the id from sys.TRACES is not 1.

I suspected this was asscoaited with tracing. Are no other SQL Monitor users reporting that their SQL monitor is seeing an LRQ alert for this same thing? I'm %99 certain its Sharepoitn specific menaing you have to be monitoringa SQL Server instance that hosts SharePoint DB's. Being that Red-gate develops tools for Sharepoint I would think you'd (or someone in a SP team at Red-gate) have some insight into this.

Thanks
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying.

You wrote:
    Being that Red-gate develops tools for Sharepoint I would think you'd (or someone in a SP team at Red-gate) have some insight into this.

I am not aware of any tools that Red Gate develops specific for Sharepoint servers. There are a couple of ANTS profiling tools that can profile .NET applications for Sharepoint. There is also a use case with SQL Virtual Restore Sharepoint Object Level recovery with Metalogix Selective Restore Manager.

Are there any other SQL Monitor users monitoring SQL Servers / Sharepoint servers experiencing this problem?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in replying.

You wrote:
    Being that Red-gate develops tools for Sharepoint I would think you'd (or someone in a SP team at Red-gate) have some insight into this.

I am not aware of any tools that Red Gate develops specific for Sharepoint servers. There are a couple of ANTS profiling tools that can profile .NET applications for Sharepoint. There is also a use case with SQL Virtual Restore Sharepoint Object Level recovery with Metalogix Selective Restore Manager.

Are there any other SQL Monitor users monitoring SQL Servers / Sharepoint servers experiencing this problem?

Many Thanks
    Eddie

Eddie,

I believe we've tracked down the problem and its a monitoring feature that SharePoint is using/running. I'm not that involved with the Sharepoint administartion so I can't give any more details other then to say the Sharepoint admin is running some kind of monitoring that comes with Sharepoint and they identified it as the cause based on the time this alert atsrts up every day on SQL Monitor. I have another LRQ related issue like this that is not Sharepoint related but will post it in a seperate posting.