Options

Filtering returns no results inside db

Random LengthsRandom Lengths Posts: 43 Bronze 2
edited November 12, 2012 3:16PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
When I filter my alerts on cleared alerts and long running queries I get 49 results. I know some of them are from certain db's and others are SQL Agent jobs. When I drill into an SQL Agent job alert, I see the db is Master. Crazy me thinks that if I drill down into the server, then to the master db on the left hand menu, I should now only see the cleared alerts for long running queries that are SQL Agent job related. Blank results. What am I doing wrong?

Comments

• Options
    You're not being crazy- I see the same thing. I think there's an explanation though.
    The Long Running Query alert is an Instance-Level alert. If you go to the screen to configure alerts, you'll see once you drill down to a specific database, you cannot configure that particular query.

This works the same when viewing the alerts- as you drill down, you'll see it at the instance level, but once you select an individual database, you'll only see alerts that are DB - level. So although the alert knows which DB raised the fault, the alert isn't occurring at the DB level.

I probably didn't explain that very well, and it's not obvious this happens from the screen, but hopefully it makes sense!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    I'm not sure I agree with you. When I drill down on my other DBs, the long-running-query alert shows up fine for those DB's, it's only the master DB that this doesn't work for.
    You're not being crazy- I see the same thing. I think there's an explanation though.
    The Long Running Query alert is an Instance-Level alert. If you go to the screen to configure alerts, you'll see once you drill down to a specific database, you cannot configure that particular query.

This works the same when viewing the alerts- as you drill down, you'll see it at the instance level, but once you select an individual database, you'll only see alerts that are DB - level. So although the alert knows which DB raised the fault, the alert isn't occurring at the DB level.

I probably didn't explain that very well, and it's not obvious this happens from the screen, but hopefully it makes sense!
  • Options
    Thanks for posting back - not sure I'm able to make it work in the way you say you do? I ran a long query on a "user" db as opposed to Master, and cleared it. I then drilled down and as soon as I got as far as the database the alert mentioned in the details, the alert disappeared from the list. So for me, it behaves the same as one on "master".
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software