Restore multiple databases in the same job

etsuchiyaetsuchiya Posts: 5 Bronze 1
edited December 18, 2012 8:58PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Good day, is there a way to restore multiple database backups using one scheduled job?

The GUI tells me that only one database at a time can be restored and have a lot of databases.

Thanks in advanced

Comments

• Hi

No, I'm afraid it's not possible to restore more than one database at a time.

Cheers,

Marianne
    Marianne Crowder
    Red Gate Software Limited
  • you could script it...

i am using dynamic sql to restore 54 databases in a row. I am restoring to another computer and instance, so it is a little more than what you would typically use.

it is pretty easy..

help instructions:
    EXECUTE master..sqlbackup '-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE [pubs] FROM DISK = ''C:\Backups\pubs_01.sqb'' WITH REPLACE" '

my way:
    set @SQL = ' EXECUTE master..sqlbackup ''-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE  ' + @sitename + 
    		' FROM DISK = ''''' + @backupfilepath + ''''' WITH MOVE DATAFILES TO ''''' + @dbdirectory + ''''' , 
    		MOVE LOGFILES TO ''''' + @tlogdirectory +''''' , REPLACE " ''	'

exec sp_executesql @sql

• Thanks jonstahura

I will try this in our test environment

Regards
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    edited August 1, 2017 9:08AM
    I am trying to script this and it is not working, keeps saying I have an extra '
    SET @SQL = ' EXECUTE master..sqlbackup ''-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE  ' + @sitename +
          ' FROM DISK = ''''D:\SQLVMDEV10\' + @sitename + '\FULL\*.sqb'''' WITH MOVE DATAFILES TO ''''G:\VirtualRestore'''' , SOURCE = ''''' + @sitename + ''''' LATEST_FULL WITH MAILTO = [url=''ed.watson@swfwmd.state.fl.us]''ed.watson@swfwmd.state.fl.us[/url]', 
    RECOVERY, DISCONNECT_EXISTING, 
          MOVE LOGFILES TO ''''G:\VirtualRestore'''' , REPLACE , CHECKDB = ''ALL_ERRORMSGS, DATA_PURITY, EXTENDED_LOGICAL_CHECKS'', DROPDB''', @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT" ''   '

Any ideas?
  • Or actually it says

[SQLSTATE 42000] (Error 137) Unclosed quotation mark after the character string ' '' '
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Here's an alternative:
    DECLARE @exitcode int
    DECLARE @sqlerrorcode int
    DECLARE @sitename nvarchar(16)
    DECLARE @sql nvarchar(1024)

SET @sitename = '<your value>'

SET @sql = '-SQL "RESTORE DATABASE ' + @sitename + ' FROM DISK = ''D:\SQLVMDEV10\' + @sitename + '\FULL\*.sqb'' SOURCE = ''' + @sitename + ''' LATEST_FULL
    	WITH MOVE DATAFILES TO ''G:\VirtualRestore'' , MOVE LOGFILES TO ''G:\VirtualRestore'' ,
    	MAILTO = ''ed.watson@swfwmd.state.fl.us'', RECOVERY, DISCONNECT_EXISTING, 
    	REPLACE , CHECKDB = ''ALL_ERRORMSGS, DATA_PURITY, EXTENDED_LOGICAL_CHECKS'', DROPDB'

EXEC master..sqlbackup @sql, @exitcode OUT, @sqlerrorcode OUT

Note that the SOURCE and LATEST_FULL options must come immediately after the DISK value.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    edited August 1, 2017 9:11AM
    The problem with that is @ sitename is the database name, how does it look through all of the database names?
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    You could put the list of databases to restore in a table, and use a cursor to iterate through that table to form the script.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8