I like sql compare. 2 features to turn like into love.

kcrokekcroke Posts: 3
edited November 5, 2012 12:01PM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
1) When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.

2) Allow me to pick which columns to deploy when creating a deployment script.

Thanks,
Kevin

Comments

• Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Kcroke

Thank you for your forum post and great news you like using SQL Compare.

With regards to your comments:
    When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.
    To work around this you can deploy a migration script which will add a default value for you. For further information regarding migration scripts, please take a look at this help ARTICLE.
    2) Allow me to pick which columns to deploy when creating a deployment script.
    As you have found there is no feature to pick individual columns when creating a deployment script. There I have added the details of your post to an existing feature request whose reference is SC-4566.

Alternatively, you could also add a post to the SQL Compare User Voice forum - http://redgate.uservoice.com/forums/141 ... uggestions
    These forums are monitored by our developers and allow our users to request features and vote on them.
    If a request receives significant support the feature may be included in a future release.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com

• With regards to your comments:
    When adding a new not-null column with no default, allow me to specify a default. We have our own DB source control procedures so have no need for "RedGate Source Control" integration for this functionality.
    To work around this you can deploy a migration script which will add a default value for you. For further information regarding migration scripts, please take a look at this help ARTICLE.

I appreciate the url and had already read the article. As I had said in my original post, we have our own Source Control solution. If the only solution for this one feature would be to purchase a $400/per developer piece of software, we will have to pass. Do you have any other solutions that don't involve SQL Source Control?

Thanks!
  • Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your reply and sorry for the delaying in replying back to you.

Sadly the only advice I can give to you, is you to either specify a default value or edit the script to modify the column to allow nulls.

I have added the details of this forum post to an existing feature request SC-1428 for SQL Compare users to be able to provide a default value.

I have also marked the feature request for review.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com