Options

Profiling Web services..

rtomrtom Posts: 6
I believe I read somewhere that to profile web services, the code must be something that is invoked form Internet Explorer. I want to confirm my understanding of this.

So if I have a (big) asp.net web service running 2.x. And I have a winform application that consumes these web services, can you please confirm that this tool cannot be used to profile the web service.

I tried it, but could not get it to work.

If I invoke commands from IE, then I get some profiling.

Am I doing something wrong, or is profiling WS that is consumed by winform apps not supported.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    The profiler essentially uses IE to hook into your web service to profile it - so, in theory, you can start up the profiler with IE (as you did when it was working), minimize IE, and then work with your Winforms app. This should let you collect profiling data from the web service.

What you cannot do is profile the Winforms app and get profiling info from that AND the webservice together.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    The profiler essentially uses IE to hook into your web service to profile it - so, in theory, you can start up the profiler with IE (as you did when it was working), minimize IE, and then work with your Winforms app. This should let you collect profiling data from the web service.

What you cannot do is profile the Winforms app and get profiling info from that AND the webservice together.

Works great.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Glad to hear that's working!
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software