Options

IIS Express crashes on startup

Effie7Effie7 Posts: 5
Hello,

Downloaded and started nerd dinner in mvc 3 and mvc 4. Both load up perfectly when started from visual studio on IIS Express. However when I try to start it using Ants profiler 7.4 with either IISExpress (actually or web development server too) it crashes. First there is a hold for 2-3 seconds, then iisexpress crashes with this report:
[b]Problem signature:[/b]
  Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
  Application Name:	iisexpress.exe
  Application Version:	8.0.8418.0
  Application Timestamp:	4fbae3d6
  Fault Module Name:	clr.dll
  Fault Module Version:	4.0.30319.17929
  Fault Module Timestamp:	4ffa59b1
  Exception Code:	c0000005
  Exception Offset:	0000000000145de7
  OS Version:	6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.4
  Locale ID:	1032
  Additional Information 1:	98b6
  Additional Information 2:	98b641cc9cc359b2e01c3b3e1ab31332
  Additional Information 3:	9fb3
  Additional Information 4:	9fb302512b8cb513aefa484dafd2a47d

I suspect this has something to do with dependency injection as this is the last step it shows! Any help appreciated

Comments

• Options
    I cant edit my post.

Exact same behaviour is produced with a new mvc 4 template website, so I guess injection isn't it.
  • Options
    Still posting a new reply because I don't have the privilege to edit my post.

The websites seem to run perfectly fine if I just use the cmd to launch iis express.

Trying to use "Analize .NET executable" then pointing to iisexpress.exe and passing the arguements displays the same behaviour as before, so IE9 doesnt seem to have anything to do with it.

Note that the PCs have microsoft security essentials installed but they were turned off too.
  • Options
    Thanks for your post- this isn't a problem i'm immediately aware of; unfortunately crashes can occur for literally hundreds of different reasons when it comes to profiling, so I'd like to try and replicate the problem here to begin with to see if it's global to that application or not.

Can you let me have the exact URL of the tutorial download you're testing with so I can have a go here?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Hello James,

Thank you for the attention. On codeplex you can find the latest version of nerddinner for mvc 3 and mvc 4 (downloading will include both versions). This is not tied to that specific project however, because also creating a new project exibits the same behaviour.

I have formatted a disk and with a fresh windows installation profiling seems to work perfectly fine, so it's not a hardware problem either. I am going to set up the system again program by program and see if the problem is reproduced at some point, and get back to you with any findings, although I havent been able to reproduce the problem on a fresh install yet. My speculation is maybe a windows update that corrupts something critical or a random corruption in general.
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply - if it works on a fresh install then it may well be something specific to the previous one, so I'll hold fire for now.

One thing to look out for is if you've installed anything that ngen's assemblies (such as BugAid, SlimDX and perhaps others) as there's a bug in .NET that will cause a crash when these are profiled.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software