Options

Existing Script compatibility

craigcraig Posts: 2
edited April 25, 2013 6:39PM in Schema Compare for Oracle
Hello All,

I tried to compare a script to an existing schema, but the tool complained that the scripts had not been created by it.

I have a "ton" of pre-existing scripts. Is there a way to bypass this complaint or import/convert them so that the tool will use them?
Thanks,

Craig

Comments

• Options
    Hi Craig,

Thanks for trying out the beta scripts folder functionality in Schema Compare.

For the time being we do not support pre-existing scripts. Given the complexity of Oracle DDL, we are focusing on understanding the syntax that Schema Compare outputs and ironing out any issues there first.

Are your existing scripts created by hand? by a previous version of Schema Compare? or something else?

Thanks,
    Neil
  • Options
    I recently downloaded v3.0 of Schema Compare for Oracle and I not only have existing DDL files that I would like to compare against, but also I rely on generating DDL from our data modeling tool. When I used to have a SQL Server target, using Schema Compare (for SQL Server) against DDL generated by that same tool worked like a charm, so I was hoping for the same experience on Oracle.
  • Options
    Thank you for the comments. As you've noticed, this isn't supported, but there is a workaround that works in some cases. It depends on the current format of the files you have, but normally involves rearranging folder structures (to match ours) and adding empty xml files in specific places. If you're interested in trying it out let us know and we'll happily work through it with you.
  • Options
    Yes, I would like to hear about any workarounds that I could try!
    Thank you for the comments. As you've noticed, this isn't supported, but there is a workaround that works in some cases. It depends on the current format of the files you have, but normally involves rearranging folder structures (to match ours) and adding empty xml files in specific places. If you're interested in trying it out let us know and we'll happily work through it with you.