Options

Moving from shared to dedicated development

SteveSSteveS Posts: 4
We're trying to move from a shared development setup to dedicated, with the help of Virtual Restore

Currently our db is linked to TFS.
I've restored a backup of the db using virtual restore to the same server.

I'm getting an error when I try and link the restored db to TFS.
I'm trying to link it to the existing path used for the shared db

"An unexpected null value has been found while running postprocessing operations on the script database. Please ensure the script database is consistent. If the problem persists, please contact our support."

Is it possible to do this? Or do I need to create a new repository in TFS?
I don't really want to do this, as it would mean losing the source history

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I am not sure where SQL Virtual Restore fits into your process. There should be no need to create a TFS repository.

To move from a shared to dedicated development, you need to follow the basic steps below:
      1. Unlink the current shared database from SQL Source Control. 2. Relink the database to SQL Source Control using the dedicated model. 3. Create new blank database, for each remaining member of the development team using the dedicated model. 4. Link each database to the same TFS repository. 5. Use the 'Get Latest' mechanism to populate the database, repeat for each new database.

I suspect instead of creating a new blank databases in Step 3, you have created Virtual databases using SQL Virtual Restore. There should be no problems performing this action.

A support call has been created for you the call reference is F0065887. If you could send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com with the call reference number in the subject field with answers to the following questions:

Is the path to TFS repository correct?
    Have there been any other folders added to the repository that SQL Source Control, like a sub folder of the database?
    Can you please locate the SQL Source Control log file at the time this error occurred for us to look at, it may reveal the cuase of your error? By default the logs files are located in this path:
    C:\Users\<user_name>\AppData\Local\Red Gate\Logs\SQL Source Control 3

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com