Deploy static table data best practice

greg.straussgreg.strauss Posts: 7
What is the best practice for deploying static table updates from Source Control to a staging or production server?

Currently, we update the static tables on our dedicated development system and check them in successfully with SSC (we use SVN) . We now want to deploy these changes from source control to a staging server that already exists for our QA department

So, if I use SQL Data Compare and use Source Control as the source and the staging server as target, the SQL data comparison tool (by default) will try to compare all tables. Is there a way to tell SQL Data Compare to only select the statically linked tables in Source Control? I'm not sure why you'd ever want to do a full data comparison when the source is Source Control.

Also, is there a way to unify the deployment step so that both schema and data changes (in statically linked tables) can be deployed in one go? Now we have to remember to do both (SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare) for a deployment.

Comments

• Hi gregg.strauss,

Thanks for your forumn post. In regards to your question about deploying static tables, you would typically use SQL Data Compare to deploy the changes.

In the latest build of SQL Compare (10.2.3.1.) there is a new command line switch "/include:static" which can be used to deploy static data from SQL Source Control to your target database.

Best Regards,
    Steve
    866-997-0378
  • thx for the reply.

In SQL Compare, is there a UI equivalent to "/include:static"? In other words, can I trigger this option in the user interface someplace? I don't see this option in the "Options" tab in SQL Compare (I have 10.2.3.1).

To do a deployment, we initiate it from SSMS, so generally we are isolated from the command line.

I would suggest having this option on the "Data Sources" tab when you select "Source Control" as the Source.
  • MckMurrayMckMurray Posts: 37 Bronze 3
    Any update on this request? We've been running into the same issue.

In regards to the directions given above ("you would typically use SQL Data Compare to deploy the changes"), I have to disagree. The whole point of linking static data is to essentially elevate certain tables to the same importance as schema for the purpose of deployments.

To then exclude these same tables from the main deployment channel (SQL Compare) is just broken. (Especially given that this has been recognised as an issue and addressed for command-line!)

Can this be added as an option for UI?

Thanks
  • Hello,

Thanks for your question on static data and SQL Compare. Looks like these posts are pretty old, from 2012, so we have made a lot of changes to both products, SQL Compare and SQL Source Control. I believe the options you want are now in the products.

When using SQL Source Control, SQL Compare, and SQL Data Compare you can customize you setup in the project options to point to static data from your scripts folder as well as other options. The documentation for doing so is below:

http://documentation.red-gate.com/displ ... ts+folders
    Allen LeVan
    Red Gate Software
    US Product Support