Options

Running sqlcompare with another AD account

wkwathenwkwathen Posts: 4
edited October 10, 2012 11:03AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Hi, I'm trying to run sqlcompare command line via powershell with Jenkins using a different windows service account than the agent running Jenks. We were getting access denied and basically in the same situation as your customer in this thread --> http://www.red-gate.com/messageboard/vi ... hp?t=15259

I too would like to avoid using sql authentication and hope this feature comes soon!

So within powershell I tried running sqlcompare via "Start-process" which allows me to run the exe with different credentials and get this error:

"SQL Compare attempted to perform an operation not allowed by the security policy. To grant this application the required permission, contact your system administrator, or use the Microsoft .Net Framework Configuration Tool. Requested registry access is not allowed"

Suggestions?

Thanks-Kevin

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post. Generally speaking, you'd need to be a SysAdmin to run SQL Compare on a box as we write and read from the registry a fair bit.

What credentials are you specifying for SQL Compare to use? Do they have administrative privileges?

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Hi Peter, the creds I am using to run sqlcompare is a local admin on both the CI build vm where sqlcompare is as well as the vm where SQL Server resides. The account has sysadmin privs as well in SQL Server.
    Thanks-Kevin
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply. Have you got UAC enabled on the VM? If so, can you try disabling that and let me know how you get on?

Pete
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569