Continuous Integration with Cruisecontrol

irishmaninadairishmaninada Posts: 11
We are using Cruisecontrol for our CI, and I was wondering if any one has every set this up to use redgate tools for CI. Basically I want to be able to set up the CI, so that at a certain time in the day, it will move any db changes from dev to qa, so that the qa team can review and verify that everything is up and running. Any help on this would be appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    edited October 8, 2012 10:54AM
    I'm sorry nobody in the Red Gate community answered this. As the tools vendor, I don't feel we're really in a good position to tell you how you should go about setting up integration - everyone has their own ideas about what is good practice.

CruseControl does the scheduling of builds and gathering of reports - you could then use it to call MSBUILD or NANT to do the building. There are just so many ways to configure CruiseControl that the discussion about the merits of each would be a little long for a forum topic.

Basically, the Red Gate tools piece centers around SQL Compare and Data Compare command-lines. These can be called from CCNet or MSBUILD using an EXEC task, to do the work of checking out database scripts to a folder and building a database from that for testing, then use automated database test tools like SQL Test, and then output a migration script to upgrade a database.

There are some white papers we have done that you may want to read here:
    http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... ntegration
  • Brian,

Thank you for the link below. :)

JD
  • Hi, I apologize if my reply is untimely. We've had CI running with CruiseControl.Net for quite some time now. CCNet calls a NAnt script which does some Subversion stuff (check out the database scripts, etc.) and then calls the Redgate tools to sync the databases.

It works pretty well now, but we did run into some problems along the way. I hoped we could just sync the schema then the data, but it wasn't that simple. We eventually ended up with a 5-step process to sync the database to SVN.

I detailed the steps in another post so I won't copy it here. I'm not sure that it's the best way to do CI, but it works for us.
  • Have you tried the build scripts available here?

http://www.red-gate.com/products/sql-de ... -resources
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • I'll check it out, thanks!