Options

Error when restoring .sqb file

lee.walterslee.walters Posts: 5
edited February 5, 2014 11:43PM in SQL Virtual Restore 2
Have been trying to restore a .sqb file to a Virtual database but every time I do it returns an error at the end saying that the Media is incorrectly formed.

It only ever happens with this one database backup. i.e. I have tried several times to backup the file and restore it.

It works with other backups of other databases. I'm just wondering if there is a size limitation? the DB backup (.sqb) file is around 90Gb in size. The Physical database is around 800GB on disk

Any help or pointers would help

Thanks
--== Nothing is fool proof, to a talented fool ==--
Lee Walters

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post. There isn't a size limitation, but there's a couple of things that *could* be causing the problem. These are:

- The backup file is corrupt
    - You're performing a virtual restore over the network (backup file located on another machine) and you're getting data loss or there's connectivity problems.

Have you actually been able to restore this file properly?
    Peter Peart
    Red Gate Software Ltd
    +44 (0)870 160 0037 ext. 8569
    1 866 RED GATE ext. 8569
  • Options
    Hi Peter

Thanks for the reply.

I've done a verify of the backup file on the server where the backup was taken and that was OK - copied the file to the server that's hosting the new database - so we're not restoring over the network.

I'll try copying the file again though using RoboCopy to ensure that the file copy operation hasn't timed out and revert with the results.

Thanks

Lee Walters
    --== Nothing is fool proof, to a talented fool ==--
    Lee Walters
  • Options
    The HyperBac service is set to login with an admin level account for testing purposes. The folder was opened to the Everyone role. Neither of these cause a change in the error.