Options

'No results to display.' when profiling a Silverlight 5 App

I am trying to profile a Silverlight 5 application but am getting the message 'No results to display.'. I am starting profiling as follows.

1. Open Ants Performance Profiler.
2. Select File | New Profiling Session... from the menu.
3. Select Silverlight 4+ applicaiton.
4. Enter the URL 'http://localhost:62539' into the Silverlight application URL text box.
5. Leave everything else at its default setting.
6. Click on the Start Profiling button.

The application then starts and in the background (in Ants Profiler) I can see that some icons are briefly displayed before the message 'No results to display' is shown again.

Versions
Ants Performance Profiler: 7.4
Visual Studio 2012
Silverlight 5
.Net Framework 4.5

What steps should I take to get this working?

Many thanks,

Scott Munro

Comments

• Options
    Hi Scott,

It seems as though the process crashed before getting results (this is not uncommon- profiling by instrumentation techniques is rough on code sometimes). Can you try a couple of things:

1) Run ANTS *explicitly* as administrator (right-click on the ANTS.UI.exe...)

2) Use either sampling mode or 'attach to process' (with your process already running)

You should get something from this...

Otherwise, can you open up the silverlight console and check for exceptions?
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply Chris.

The application process did not appear to crash as I was able to login and use it as per normal - my actions just weren't profiled. I guess that it might have crashed and then restarted automatically but it did not look like this was happening.

1. Running ANTS as administrator did not make any difference. Note that the executable on my machine is named RedGate.Profiler.UI.exe and is located in the following path.

C:\Program Files\Red Gate\ANTS Performance Profiler 7

2. "Sample method-level timings" did not make any difference. I was not able to attach to my silverlight process. The only option that I saw related to attaching was for a ".Net 4 process".

I am not sure what you mean by "Silverlight Console". I don't see anything in the output pane within Visual Studio if that is what you mean.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Sometimes IE tries to host the Silverlight in a browser instance that is not being watched by ANTS. You will want to try closing all instances of IE (even the "hidden" iexplore processes shown in Task Manager) and try the profiling again.
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... 1102000483
  • Options
    Thanks Brian!

That was my problem. I realise now why some of the other developers were not affected - they use Chrome when browsing the internet and never had any other instances of Internet Explorer open.

Cheers,

Scott