Options

Error comparing backup to live database

paule123paule123 Posts: 44
I have the following error with version 9, so I upgraded to v 10.2.0.885 hoping it would be resolved, but it is not.

The backups are created with SQL Backup 7.1.0.214 on SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise SP2 64 bit (v10.50.4000)

I am comparing a full encrypted backup to the live database. When it says Registering databases... Loading backup, I receive an error "A duplicate object has been found." something about case sensitive database. The database is not set to be case sensitive.

The only recent changes to the system are a) I added a differential backup job to run 3 times a day in addition to the existing full backup job that runs once a day, and b) I installed Service Pack 2 for SQL Server 2008 R2.

If I restore the full encrypted backup to a database with a different name and compare it, it completes without error. (thus the backup image integrity seems to be good, and the SQB file passes the check with the Red Gate Backup Test utility)

If I run the compare against an older full backup (created before I started the differential backup regime, and before I installed the SQL Service Pack 2), it completes without error.

I get the error on other backups of other databases on the same system, so it's not database specific.

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post. Am am going to contact you directly about this - I think it's possible the error message is misleading and the problem actually lies elsewhere. It always suggests you have duplicate objects any time there is a .net dictionary error in the program.
  • Options
    Hi,

The problem is actually with SQL Backup 7.1 encryption. SQL Compare and SQL Data Compare are having a problem dumping the pages from SQL Backup compressed encrypted files. The bug reference is SC-6035.
  • Options
    Just to update the thread - I updated SQL Data Compare to the latest version today, 10.2.3.5, and updated SQL Backup to 7.2.0.286, executed a full encrypted backup, ran a data compare of the encrypted backup to the live database, and the bug still exists.