Options

Running from the command line does not see any differences

I'm running the SQL Data Compare command line and having a problem in syncrhonizing script folder with a database that contains correct schema but no data. Here's my command line:
/scr1:[scripts pulled from Subversion, created by Sql Source Control]
/server2:server
/db2:CleanDb [database was built from the above script folder using SqlCompare]
/Include:identical
/ScriptFile:DataSyncScript.sql
/Force
/Verbose

When I run it says there is no differnces while in reality CleanDb is an empty database with the latest schema and script directory definitely contains static data scripts. If I do the same from the GUI it does see the differences, generates the script and inserts data into my CleanDb.

The only way I managed to sync databases from the command line is by explicitly referencing tables with the Include option.

/scr1:[scripts pulled from Subversion, created by Sql Source Control]
/server2:server
/db2:CleanDb [database was built from the above script folder using SqlCompare]
/Include:identical
/Include:mytable
/ScriptFile:DataSyncScript.sql
/Force
/Verbose

Is this the only way to synchronize the data?

This scenario is not ideal since as we add more static tables we then need to go and change our deployment script. Ideally what we want is to push all data from our source controlled tables into our clean/deployment database.

As far as I can see from the archives it use to work differently in the previous versions.

Any comments on that?

Comments

• Options
    Thanks for your post. Based on the description you gave, this sounds like you're possibly hitting a recent bug (ref. SDC-1480)

Can you let us know which build of SQL Data Compare you're using?
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    The version is:

Red Gate SQL Data Compare Command Line Utility V10.2.0.885.

What is the SDC-1480 bug? Does your bug tracking system have a public access to look it up?
  • Options
    Our bugtracker isn't externally viewable unfortunately; but it's basically describing the behaviour you see.

A slightly earlier build (available here) shouldn't exhibit the problem until we fix it.

Redgate Software

• Options
    Will that version install on top of the one I've got currently? I'm using bundle evaluation version at the moment.

Any timeframe when this is going to be fixed? We really need to make a decision about CI process very soon.
  • Options
    You'll probably need to uninstall the current one before it'll let you install the older build.

I don't have an ETA on that being fixed, but i'll see if I can find out.

*Edit

Another workaround is to create your selection in the GUI, and save the project. You can then call this project on the command line with the /project:somefile.sdc switch. This should work in the current version you have.

Redgate Software

• Options
    I am encountering the same issue. We are running the same SQL Data Compare version, 10.2.0.885.

This bug was from over 6 months ago and I noticed that version 10.4 has been released. Do we know if that version has the bug fix?

If version 10.4 does not have the fix, is 10.2.0.315 the last known good version? Also, do we know if this bug will be fixed in the near future as moving back a version may not be applicable for us due to the large amount of work porting over all the projects we have configured.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Glen
  • Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    The bug was fixed in 10.2.0.1218 according to what I can tell - so 10.4 should be OK.

If you're still having problems though, obviously post back with some more details and I can re-open the bug.

Redgate Software