High CPU on VERIFY

meastlandmeastland Posts: 47
edited August 15, 2012 12:06PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
We have a backup configured against a ~ 300GB database to use the following options: CHECKSUM, COMPRESSION = 4, COPY_ONLY, FILECOUNT = 4, INIT, THREADPRIORITY = 1.

The backup appears to run fine, and compresses the combined backupset down to about 80GB. However, when it gets to the VERIFY step, the SQBCoreService.exe process pegs the CPU on a 4 x 2 GHz virtual server with 32GB of RAM.

I guess my question is, does the VERIFY step adhere to the THREADPRIORITY parameter, or does that just apply to the BACKUP step? Either way, is this expected behavior for the VERIFY step?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    This is indeed a bug, and a bug report has been raised for this (ref. SB-5367).
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Peter,

Thanks for the quick response. Is it possible to be notified when the fix is available?

Thanks,

-Mike
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    I did not notice earlier that you are on version 6.

There are no plans for any new releases for version 6, as we are currently on version 7. You can still download a patch for this bug using the following link:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... 5_2_22.zip

The zip file contains two files:

SQBCoreService.exe
    SQLBackupC.exe

To apply the patch, please follow the steps below:

1. Close all GUI connections to the SQL Server.
    2. Ensure that no SQL Backup jobs are in progress.
    3. Stop the SQL Backup Agent Service, or disable the cluster resource if on a cluster.
    4. On the SQL Server where the SQL Backup server components are installed, navigate to the installation directory. Defaults are:

32-bit Machines - C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>
    64-bit Machines - C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>

5. In the folder you will find an existing SQBCoreService.exe and SQL BackupC.exe. Rename the existing files, for example to OLDSQBCoreService.exe and OLDSQLBackupC.exe.
    6. Now copy in the files extracted from the downloaded zip.
    7. Restart the SQL Backup agent service/cluster resource, and ensure that it starts successfully.
    8. Perform a test backup to ensure that all is OK. Then test to see if the THREADPRIORITY value is used for a verification process that is performed after a backup.

Please note that this patch has not been thoroughly tested, so use it at your own discretion. This patch release also includes other fixes, as listed in this document:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... istory.txt
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Thanks, Peter. I will deploy and test the patch as time permits.