Log shipping restores requiring constant intervention

DerekgDerekg Posts: 11
edited August 7, 2012 9:22AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
SQL Backup version: 6.5.1.9

Problem: We have roughly 7 databases being log shipped from one server to another. Both are on Windows Server 2003 64 bit and SQL Server 2008 64bit. The logs are backed up to a local share and then copied to a share on the destination server and restored.

This works fine mostly however at least 5-6 times a week one of the restore jobs for a database (different one each time) will run indefinitely and the database will get out of synch. The only solution I have found is to wait until none of the other SQL restore jobs are running, restart the red gate backup service (which will then fail the offending job), and then start the job again which it usually runs fine at that point.

What could be causing this and how can I resolve it?

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    Could you please try using the latest patch for the 6.5 release? You can download it using the following URL:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... 5_2_21.zip

The zip file contains two files:

SQBCoreService.exe
    SQLBackupC.exe

To apply the patch, please follow the steps below:

1. Close all GUI connections to the SQL Server.
    2. Ensure that no SQL Backup jobs are in progress.
    3. Stop the SQL Backup Agent Service, or disable the cluster resource if on a cluster.
    4. On the SQL Server where the SQL Backup server components are installed, navigate to the installation directory. Defaults are:

32-bit Machines - C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>
    64-bit Machines - C:\Program Files (x86)\Red Gate\SQL Backup 6\(local) or <SQL Instance Name>

5. In the folder you will find an existing SQBCoreService.exe and SQL BackupC.exe. Rename the existing files, for example to OLDSQBCoreService.exe and OLDSQLBackupC.exe.
    6. Now copy in the files extracted from the downloaded zip.
    7. Restart the SQL Backup agent service/cluster resource, and ensure that it starts successfully.
    8. Perform a test backup to ensure that all is OK.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • Actually I thought I was on the latest patch...when I tried "check for updates" in the backup interface it only showed an upgrade to version 7.

With that said I will absolutely apply the update, thanks!
  • peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    The latest official release for the 6.x series is the 6.5.1 release. Issues discovered in 6.5.1 were patched in the 6.5.2 releases, and also in 7.0.

You can view the issues addressed in 6.5.2 here:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/sql_ ... istory.txt

For your issue, I believe it was addressed in patch 13.
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8
  • This seemed to resolve the issue, thanks!