Options

3.1.0.125: Monitoring Stopped 1 sec - no auto restart

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
edited July 18, 2012 1:43PM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
    Machine authentication failed at: 1 Jul 2012 12:35:25 AM Machine authentication successful at: 1 Jul 2012 12:35:26 AM No performance data available for this host machine or SQL Server instance in this time range.
The explanation page reads CONTRARY to what the Configuration page shows - a RED X against "local" (last row).
    Raised when monitoring stops because the user name or password you entered for SQL Monitor to connect to your host machine fails authentication. Check whether: Your user name or password have changed. NO THEY HAVEN'T! Your permissions have changed and are no longer sufficient. NO THEY HAVEN'T! Once the correct credentials are entered and authentication is successful, monitoring will resume and the alert will be marked automatically as Ended. THE ALERT IS MARKED AS ENDED 1 SECOND AFTER IT WAS RAISED!
This is a break of 1 SECOND. Due to multiple prior issues with Windows Authentication, we decidedupon using the HAMMER of the sa login - a password set in concrete (here) and a login that's always there (for us) and doesn't care a bit about Windows AD. The third line above is COMPLETELY FALSE - NO performance data gathering PERIOD UNTIL THE PASSWORD IS RE-APPLIED!

For SQL Monitor to NOT self-repair after a single 1 second break seems, sorry to use the word, LUDICROUS! I only discovered this after SQL Monitor had been NOT collecting performance data for 36 hours (server is on EDT, I'm on PDT).

PLEASE, make it fix itself!
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• Options
    The default behaviour for SQL Monitor is to disconnect if it encounters an authorization error.
    There is however a work around to get SQL Monitor to retry the connection if for some reason it encounters this error.
    Edit c:\programdata\red gate\sql monitor 3\RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.Settings.config
    Under <configuration>, set <reconnectAfterAuthorizationError > to true
    restart the Base Monitor service
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Sadly, I already have that set to true:
    reconnectAfterAuthorizationError

Whether SQL Monitor should try to reconnect and continue monitoring after an AuthorizationError is raised
      --&gt;
    	&lt;repositorySettings slaveMode="false"&gt;
    		&lt;!-- valid databaseEngines: "Mssql"--&gt;
    		&lt;dataStore databaseEngine="Mssql" autoUpgrade="true"&gt;
    			&lt;!-- valid versions: "Auto", "SQL2005", "SQL2008" --&gt;
    			&lt;mssql version="Auto" connectionStringName="DataConnectionString"/&gt;
    		&lt;/dataStore&gt;
    	&lt;/repositorySettings&gt;
    	&lt;collectionSettings maxTraceFileAge="00:15:00" maxTraceFileDiskUsage="1024" reconnectAfterAuthorizationError="true"&gt;
    		&lt;collectionSchedules&gt;

Bug?
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    Try
    Edit c:\programdata\red gate\sql monitor 3\RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.Settings.config
    Under <configuration>, add <reconnectAfterAuthorizationError />
    restart the Base Monitor service
    Manfred Castro
    Product Support
    Red Gate Software
  • Options
    Sorry, Manfred, your post doesn't make it clear to me just WHERE one should place what looks like (to me) an empty element.

Would you be so kind as to post a sample like mine, 2 posts above, that shows the suggestion in place, please?
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    The reconnectAfterAuthorizationError tag is used when to connection to a monitored entity drops out due to an authorisation error. It is not always clear why this happens, but when the auto retry occurs it reconnects without issue. However, in scenarios where this does not happen then this configuration can be dangerous which is why it is set to "false" by default and must be manually changed. So from your description, it looks like the configuration has done its job (as reflected by the fact that the alert status switched to Ended within a second [it is rounded to the nearest second in the alert]).

However, the fact that the performance data did not restart collection would point to a different issue. It may well be triggered by the authorization error, but I don't think it is caused by it. Therefore, please can you send the SQL Monitor error logs to support@red-gate.com (see doc below). Please ensure that you send the logs which cover the 1st July 2012. Can you also make sure that you include the support ticket number F0061979 in the subject line so that it comes to me.
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... M_LogFiles
  • Options
    Logs emailed.

Thanks, Chris.
    Decide wisely...