Options

Backup Wizrad settings not saved multiple instances

PhilMPhilM Posts: 3
edited December 8, 2005 9:59AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
On my new server, Windows 2003 SBS, set up by a contractor, there are multiple instances of SQL server 2000.
If I use Backup Wizard to create a backup, I can manually select the corrrect instance of SQL server (local) and the backup works OK. And it saves it but the next time I go to use that saved backup it says Database not found (but it has not selected the correct instance of SQL server). What's going on here?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hello Phil,

Does the server only have named instances (no default instance)?
  • Options
    Hah! You made me look. I had thought there was only one, I only use one, but SQL Backup shows three (two named, one local). So I checked every way I know how:
    Enterprise Manager: only one - (local)
    SQL SERVICE Manager: only one (WEBSERVER = name of machine)
    Task Manager: only one sqlserver.exe shows, uses NETWORK SERVICE acct
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\.. shows three installs: MSSQL, and two that match the ones showing in SQLBackup
    Finally SQLBackup shows the three (SBSMonitoring, (local), and Sharepoint)(in that order, which may be the whole point).
    So the problem is partly a dumb install, but the main issue is that when following the wizard to create a backup job, it asks me to select an instance, I do, it even saves the selection (local) but when you come back to it to use the saved job next time, it DOES NOT select the instance you specified and says it cannot find your database (which of course is not in that instance).
    Hope I have explained this ok...