TFE Encryption of a database

CGLuttrellCGLuttrell Posts: 39 Bronze 1
edited June 18, 2012 11:10AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
Am I correct that this tool cannot read backups of databases encripted with TFE and a certificate? That is my experience, if I select one of those database backups it says "One or more of the backup files you selected are in valid". Is there anyway to read from those or plans to try to add this? I have access to the certificate the database uses for implementing TFE encryption. I used to compare and recover from backups all the time before we switched to 2008 and implemented TFE.
Thanks,
Chris

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    If you mean TDE encryption, SQL Backup does work with databases that use that encryption scheme. However, like with native or any other type of backup, you have to install the encryption certificate on the destination server when restoring to a different server in order to read the database. SQL Backup will not do that for you.
  • CGLuttrellCGLuttrell Posts: 39 Bronze 1
    Yes, I meant TDE, sorry aobut that, but I am not talking about SQL Backup. This is about the Compare products and we do not use SQL Backup.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Oh, I'm sorry about that.

Most people ask this question about backup.

I don't see why SQL Compare wouldn't work with TDE as the encryption is just done on the storage end and all of the queries return unencrypted data through the pipe.