Compression Analyzer Suggestion

mglennmglenn Posts: 25
edited June 15, 2012 8:51AM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
It would be nice if compression analyzer also showed estimated duration and CPU utilization for each compression level along with size.

Comments

• I am the support engineer that is investigating this issue you have raised. Thank you for the suggestion and the feature request. I would like to discuss this with you in a little more detail and offer some preliminary advice if possible.

The compression analyser works on the data types and then depending on the values it parses it makes an estimate of the compression it can achieve. This information is normally very accurate as the data type and size information rarely changes very quickly.

In regards to calculating time and CPU the analyser would be a little bit off the mark as there are other variables like activity on the server, type of the disk subsystem etc that make a big difference to the outcome.

For eg. The location could be network or local and this in itself will make a difference to the time calculations. Hence to err on the side of only providing realistic information we currently provide only information about how much we can compress the data.

If you feel really strongly about this feature I can create a change request and triage this with product management if that suits?

Thanks for taking the time to put this feature request in. This is a good thing either ways as other SQL Backup users will be reviewing this information and adding their thoughts as well.

Thanks for your feedback in this matter.
  • Thanks for your feedback and your response. This has been raised by another 2 customers so far in the past. I have posted your feedback and thoughts in this regards as well to the relevant issue. The issue number for your reference is SB-4308.

This will be triaged and a note has been entered for you to be informed of the outcome. Please note if approved this might not make it to the next release(s) as there is a normal wait period where we take in feedback from a lot of end users and then collate and triage this together to target for a particular release.

Having said that I do appreciate your feedback and please feel free to continue to contribute. This is one of the great mechanisms that we use to continue to improve our products. Your business is appreciated!

Have a great day!

Thanks for your patience in this matter.