Options

Problem with licensing RedGate SDK

vuquangchienvuquangchien Posts: 4
edited January 14, 2014 8:25AM in SQL Comparison SDK Previous Versions
I'm having real trouble with licensing RedGate SDK.
1) If I use SDK version 8.0, my project has to be in .NET 3 in order for the confirmation pop-up to show for registering. If not, visual studio will give me a creepy error in output windows telling me that it cannot find some unrelated dll.
2) Now I'm moving to SDK version 10.0, the latest release. When I register my application it runs fine. But when my application start, we encounter the frustrating exception about: "Ambiguous references"
InternalXmlHelper.vb(9) : error BC30560: 'ExtensionAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices'.

After several investigation, I think that RedGate SDK reference to some earlier .NET framework dlls, which makes our application have 2 version of .NET resulting in conflicts.
What should I do? I've worked on the SDK for weeks and are very frustrated now. I do appreciate any help provided

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience. The problem this time, as I understand, is caused by us implementing our own "ExtensionAttribute" and then later Microsoft in .NET 3.5 SP1 implementing exactly the same thing. If that's right, targeting your project at .net Framework 2.0 should solve it.

The first problem was caused by Microsoft's resource reader in v4 being incompatible with resources produced by .NET 2. The window that displays the dialog where you enter your serial number has embedded resources in it. This will be fixed in a future version of the SDK.
  • Options
    Thank you Brian for your explaination
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Out of curiosity, what code exists at InternalXmlHelper.vb line 9?
  • Options
    There's no relevant code at line 9. My guess is that's some line from the framework source code that register and initialize the Extension attribute
  • Options
    Hello to all,
    i have purchased recently the sdk 10.0 and i am try to include the data compare and schema compare functionality from the sdk to an existing functionality.

Without adding any code and just the reference to the target dll (sqlcompare engine), the code is not compiled and the error is:

InternalXmlHelper.vb(9,6): error BC30560: 'ExtensionAttribute' is ambiguous in the namespace 'System.Runtime.CompilerServices'. [C:\QCS Projects\Current\VS Projects\SCToolkit.InternalBuild\SCToolkit.InternalBuild.Win.Client\SCToolkit.InternalBuild.Win.Client.vbproj]

If i remove the reference from the RedGate.SQLCompare.Engine, the code is compiled as expected.

I have try to run the sample code and i don't faced the same issue. The strange is that i checked that in the sample solution the targeted framework is the .NET 4.0. The same framework is used for the my own application. I believe that i faced the above issue due to some licensing issue.

I would appreciate any help/advice of how to overcome the specific issue (if the problem is occurred due to framework is not an acceptable solution the downgrade to older framework since the application shared projects that cannot be downgraded).

Thank you in advance,
    Xenia
  • Options
    Downgrade to .net 2.0? From 2005? Are you serious?

The irony is we were considering upgrading SDK8 to SDK10, and this was NOT an issue in SDK8. What is this, a new feature?
  • Options
    Downgrade to .net 2.0? From 2005? Are you serious?

The irony is we were considering upgrading SDK8 to SDK10, and this was NOT an issue in SDK8. What is this, a new feature?

Just an update to this post, Redgate fixed this issue in the latest release which can be obtained here:

ftp://support.red-gate.com/patches/SQLC ... 225463.exe