Combine sqb files

agargagarg Posts: 11 Bronze 2
edited May 23, 2012 10:41PM in SQL Backup Previous Versions
Hi,
We use RedGate backup tool for our sql server database backups. Have couple of questions:

1. I split the backup into multiple files. Is there a way to combine those multiple backup files into just 1 file later? I have 20 sqb files for the same database backup - how to combine them into just 1 sqb file if needed?

2. Currently, I have to specify how many files I need the backup to be split into, and I have to give the file names. But I want the number of files to be dependent on the backup size. That is if the backup size is 10gb, then split it into 20 files, if it is 15gb, then 30 files - something like that. In a way, I want the backup file size to be fixed, say at 500mb. Is it possible? Also, can I just specify a naming convention for the backup files instead of specifying all the file names literally?

Thanks.
Ajay

Comments

• peteypetey Posts: 2,358 New member
    No, there isn't a way to combine multiple files of the same backup set into a single file.

No, there isn't a way either to split a backup set into files of equal sizes.

With regards to the naming convention, you use enter a base name and use the FILECOUNT option e.g.
    EXEC..master..sqlbackup '-sql "BACKUP DATABASE AdventureWorks TO DISK = [g:\backups\AdventureWorks.sqb] WITH FILECOUNT = 5"'

will split the backup set across 5 files with the following names:

g:\backups\AdventureWorks_01.sqb
    g:\backups\AdventureWorks_02.sqb
    g:\backups\AdventureWorks_03.sqb
    g:\backups\AdventureWorks_04.sqb
    g:\backups\AdventureWorks_05.sqb
    Peter Yeoh
    SQL Backup Consultant Developer
    Associate, Yohz Software
    Beyond compression - SQL Backup goodies under the hood, updated for version 8