Feature branching with Mercurial

jtenosjtenos Posts: 3
We're considering using SQL Source Control in our environment. We're currently using Mercurial (through Kiln) as our code source control, and we're using the feature branch strategy using Kiln branches (one stable line, a dev branch, and individual branches for every feature, which get merged back into dev, then to stable - each "branch" is a separate repo in Mercurial).

Is there any documentation or examples of how to best follow this strategy when working with SQL Source Control? I've seen very little on working with branches, and nothing at all about merging or working with a lot of branches.

Thanks

Comments

• SQL Source Control doesn't currently have great support for branching - it's something we've heard a lot of customers asking for, and we're focusing on it right now.

Given that, I'm afraid there's not really much I can recommend - if you're relying heavily on branching, there's no guarantee that SQL Source Control is going to be able to cope with that well. By all means try, and if you do run into any issues let us know and we'll do our best to get them ironed out, but for the time being this is largely uncharted waters for us. Sorry!
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer
  • Thanks for the info. I tried some basic branching and merging the other day - using a regular Mercurial client and working with the files directly - and had some success. It was a little clumsy, but I think it should be enough to get us started.

It's good to hear you're working on it now - we'll definitely be interested in seeing that built-in to the product in a future version.

Thanks
  • Glad to hear you got something working, at least! Thanks for your feedback, and let me know if you've ever got any other questions.
    Andy Campbell Smith

Red Gate Technical Support Engineer