Options

Clear destination database before sync

brian.chiu.rtbrian.chiu.rt Posts: 4
edited May 10, 2012 3:54AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
does anyone know if there's a way to clear the destination database before each sync?

I know this process might be a bit weird but what we're trying to do here is to create a schema backup for multiple databases by using redgate to sync with a staging DB before creating a backup of it.

thanks,
brian

Comments

• Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    A standard sync will theoretically have the same effect (making the target DB match the source). This is the same as clearing down everything from the target then syncing. So I think I'm perhaps missing the point of what you're trying to do.

There's no option in SQL Compare to do this; but a workaround would be to have an empty database on your server, and first sync from this to the target (which should drop everything) then run your usual sync afterwards. But as I said above, the end result would be the same as the sync you're already doing.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    Are you running this as part of an automated process? If so, an alternative is to run the following:

sqlcmd -SYourServer -Q "ALTER DATABASE YourDB SET SINGLE_USER WITH ROLLBACK IMMEDIATE; DROP DATABASE YourDB"

sqlcmd -SYourServer -Q "CREATE DATABASE YourDB"

Can I ask why you're creating these schema backups? How will they be used?

David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software