Options

System Out of Memory

sproatbasproatba Posts: 15
I'm trying to use SQL Source control on a single database and keep getting very poor performance and eventually a system out of memory exception. I've tried a fresh boot of the machine and only starting management studio and still get the exception. I have 8GB of memory installed and plenty available so i'm not exactly sure what the issue is. I see SSMS using around 1.5GB of memory when the exception occurs. When it does actually work, it takes 15 to 20 just to show the compare results. Are there any steps I can take to speed things up or fix/avoid the memory issue?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    The problem is the scalability of SQL Server Management Studio. Since it is a 32-bit process, it is limited to 2GB of addressable memory, so it does not matter how much memory you have in the system.

I just got updated about this yesterday, and the product management have no plans to increase the scalability of SQL Source Control, even though production databases are frequently hitting the upper-limit of available memory. Sorry for the bad news.