Options

What are Base Deployment Logs?

webrunnerwebrunner Posts: 28 Bronze 1
edited April 17, 2012 11:49AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
Hello all,

I have 800+ MB of files in my SQL Monitor 2 installation named
Base Deployment yyyymmdd.log (where yyyymmdd is the date pattern for the file naming)

Are these files necessary beyond a certain age? Do they correspond at all with the data purging settings?

Also, if they are needed, is there a way to copy them and reconfigure SQL Monitor 2 to put them somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

- webrunner

Comments

• Options
    Hi

These files are not essential to the running of SQL Monitor and thus can be deleted. They contain logging information that could potentially be useful if SQL Monitor stops working. Even then we would probably be interested in only the most recent files.

Because we use Log4Net logging it might be possible to modify the "RedGate.Response.Engine.Alerting.Base.Service.exe.logging.config" file found at "C:\Program Files\Red Gate\SQL Monitor 3\BaseMonitor" in order to change the way our logging works. There's a section that starts with <appender name="RollingFile"... that has several settings relevant to the maximum size and number of old log files kept. If you wish to edit this it's probably a good idea to make a copy of the original first.
    The following Apache documentation has examples under the RollingFileAppender section:
    http://logging.apache.org/log4net/relea ... mples.html

Alternatively you can manually delete any old log files as required.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    webrunnerwebrunner Posts: 28 Bronze 1
    Hi Chris,

Thank you so much for your reply. For now I think I will just archive the files and delete them from the server, but I appreciate your advice regarding the configuration settings as well.

Best regards,
    webrunner