Use "Add object existence checks" from commandline

stephenkstephenk Posts: 4
edited June 1, 2013 10:19AM in SQL Compare Previous Versions
How do I use the "Add object existence checks" and "Use DROP and CREATE instead of ALTER" options from the command line

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    All of the options for the SQL Compare command line are noted here:
    http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/C ... ne_Options
    It looks as if the documentation is out of date, though. I will get that looked into.

You would use /options:ObjectExistenceChecks,DropAndCreateInsteadOfAlter to accomplish what you want to do. For a shorter command-line, you could use the aliases for these options: oec and dacia respectively.
  • Thanks.

The new options switches are also missing from SQLCompare.exe /? and SQLCompare.exe /verbose /? commandline help.
  • Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Odd, because I found thouse options the way I described... at least in version 10.1.
  • I tried the switches oec and dacia but I get the following error:

SQL Compare Command Line V10.0.0.143
    ============================
    Copyright © Red Gate Software Ltd 1999-2011

Error: Invalid value for switch /options: oec. Please use SQLCompare.exe /? or SQLCompare.exe /verbose /? for more information.

I also tried the full switch names, ObjectExistenceChecks and DropAndCreateInsteadOfAlter, but got the same error.

note the version downloaded from web is 10.0.0.143, not 10.1
  • If you use Check for Updates in the tool (Help menu), it will download v10.1. This version will appear on the main download soon.

Apologies for this.

David Atkinson
    Red Gate
    David Atkinson
    Product Manager
    Redgate Software
  • Hi

It seems ObjectExistenceChecks is always on in SQL Compare 10.2 when generating deployment script with command line. I'm using these options:

/Project:Core_rollout.scp /Scriptfile:Scripts\Rollout_2_Auto_Gen_Schema.sql /Force /ScriptEncoding:ASCII /Options:None,DecryptPost2KEncryptedObjects,IgnoreDatabaseAndServerName,IgnoreFileGroups,IgnoreFillFactor,IgnoreIndexLockProperties,IgnoreNotForReplication,IgnorePermissions,IgnoreReplicationTriggers,IgnoreStatistics,IgnoreUserProperties,IgnoreUsers,IgnoreWhiteSpace,IgnoreWithElementOrder,IgnoreWithNocheck,IgnoreConstraintNames,DisableSOCForLiveDBs,IgnoreStatisticsNorecompute,NoTransactions

and it always inserts existance checks.

The reason why I am trying to disable check is that SQL Compare generates strange name for bindings in the existance check part:
    ...AND default_object_id = OBJECT_ID(N'[dbo].dbo.[D_FlagFalse]]]', 'D'))
    which doesn't work

Any ideas how to get rid of any of those 2 issues?

Kind regards
    Taras
  • Small addition to my previous post: seems ObjectExistenceChecks in my case comes from the .scp file and is not overriden by command line.