Options

JavaScript errors after upgrade

soxfanjimsoxfanjim Posts: 16
I just upgraded from SQL Monitor 2.3 to version 3.0. I immediately starting getting errors on the Overviews page. I seem to get it there every time. I also got it on the Analysis page after selecting a metric, then changing the Time Range value from "Last 10 mins" to "Last hour". Here's a sample of the error in XML format from the Event Viewer log:
- <Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
- <System>
  <Provider Name="SQL Monitor 3" /> 
  <EventID Qualifiers="0">0</EventID> 
  <Level>2</Level> 
  <Task>0</Task> 
  <Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords> 
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-28T19:54:43.000000000Z" /> 
  <EventRecordID>237</EventRecordID> 
  <Channel>Red Gate Software</Channel> 
  <Computer>MyServer.MyDomain.com</Computer> 
  <Security /> 
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data>2012-03-28 19:54:43,056 [8] ERROR RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Controllers.DisplayErrorsController [(null)] - Client javascript error RedGate.Response.UI.Website.Controllers.ClientJavascriptException: Failed Page Url: / User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/4.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729) at http://localhost:8080/static/3.0.0.1573/Scripts/RedGate.Response.js:line 190</Data> 
  </EventData>
  </Event>

My installation went along without a hitch according to the instructions. Ours is a single server install running on a Windows 2008 R2/IIS7 machine with a SQL Server 2008 R2 repository. We are using a domain account as the base monitor connection. The server configuration and authentication is unchanged from our v2.3 installation.

Comments

• Options
    I encountered these errors immediately after the upgrade while testing the app from the server console. I was running Internet Explorer there (not sure which version) but run FireFox 11.0 on my desktop. I do not appear to be having JS issues when hitting SQL Monitor from my desktop via FireFox.
  • Options
    Hi

We have a known issue with IE7/IE8 browsers that we believe to be intermittent. Have you tried restarting your browser to see if this issue goes away?

Alternatively upgrading to IE9 (or switching to Chrome or Firefox) would very likely prevent this issue from reoccuring with the added benefit of making the web pages run far quicker.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    An error has occurred. Try refreshing the page: the problem may be temporary.Error details
    http://localhost:8080/static/3.0.0.1575/Scripts/RedGate.Response.js: 324 
    Failed

Cleared up by using Chrome - and yes, FASTER PAGE LOADS is better :)
    Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
    Decide wisely...
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    I had another one of these reported yesterday. I think it's caused by a security setting that is meant to prevent cross-site scripting.
  • Options
    I am having the same problem after my upgrade. It comes up correct on the first browser hit, after that it only shows "Loading... 0 " on each server. The top of the page shows: "An error has occurred. Try refreshing the page: the problem may be temporary.Error details
    http://rcpx-sqlmonitor:8080/static/3.0. ... esponse.js: 324
    Failed".

While I can use those other browsers, we have a company standard to use IE8 and would like to have it work. Is there a setting that can be changed in IE to make it work again or can a fix be put in place?

Lloyd
  • Options
    I can't replicate the problem, but I would try putting the site into the list of trusted sites.
  • Options
    Could also be that the web server is closing the connection without sending any data to satisfy the jQuery request, however, I find it odd that suddenly we're having a lot of 324 errors being reported.
  • Options
    I think it could also be a data-driven error, for instance some data being sent from the website doesn't conform to the JSON specification...
  • Options
    Adding the SQL Monitor site to my "Trusted Sites" zone seems to have resolved the problem for me. (At least for now.)

It seems reasonable to think that if you remove it from your Trusted Sites zone, you may be one step closer to duplicating this problem.

IMHO, this is a serious compatibility issue with the most widely used browser on the internet. (Yes, I know IE is declining rapidly in popularity but, at least for now, it appears to still be in the lead.) Moreover, many companies have business critical web applications that prevent them from moving to other browsers (or even other versions of Internet Explorer). Switching to another browser just isn't an option in many cases and certainly no solution to this problem.

Hopefully, adding the SQL Monitor site to the Trusted Sites zone will be a workable solution for others as it seems to have been for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • Options
    Thanks for following up. I did try to replicate the issue without success, but only by creating a host entry pointing to localhost and then using that hostname in the URL for the SQL Monitor website. I suppose Windows is smart enough to know that the alias is the same computer in that case.
  • Options
    http://sqlprod40:81/static/3.0.0.1575/S ... esponse.js: 324
    Failed

Is the error that I am getting, but did not receive in the EAP.
  • Options
    We've just updated the v3.0 release build to 3.0.0.1593. This update includes a few maintenance fixes but notably uses a newer version of JQUERY which could potentially fix any issues with IE7/IE8. As we've been unable to reproduce this particular error internally we can't guarantee however that it will be resolved.

The update can be downloaded from here : http://www.red-gate.com/products/dba/sq ... r/download
    (use the 'Returning customer installer download' link on the right)

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hello, I just upgraded to v 3.0.0.1575, but I still have databases showing Offline status in SQL Monitor. Would build 1593 resolve this issue? How can I be sure that my current license key allows me to upgrade to 1593 if I decide to do this? Are there any specific when upgrading to it?
    Thanks,
    Stefka
  • Options
    Yes the 'databases offline' issue should be fixed in build 1593. This wasn't a straightforward fix and we'd appreciate it if you could let us know if the new build resolves the issue for you.

If you've got a v3 license key (or current support & upgrades) then it should still work with the new build.

Any issues let us know.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hi Chris, I downloaded the latest build and run the SQL monitor installation from Sql Monitor_3.0.0.1593.exe. The installation was quick and successful, according to the final message. I tried to load the SQL monitor web page, but it didn't show. Then, I noticed that both Base and Web services were stopped. I started them and then SQL monitor page showed up. I checked the Base and Web services versions in About section and both still show 3.0.0.1575. Also, some of my databases still show as Offline there. I checked the Windows Application error logs and didn't notice any related errors. Please advise.
  • Options
    chefi_d wrote:
    Hi Chris, I downloaded the latest build and run the SQL monitor installation from Sql Monitor_3.0.0.1593.exe. The installation was quick and successful, according to the final message. I tried to load the SQL monitor web page, but it didn't show. Then, I noticed that both Base and Web services were stopped. I started them and then SQL monitor page showed up. I checked the Base and Web services versions in About section and both still show 3.0.0.1575. Also, some of my databases still show as Offline there. I checked the Windows Application error logs and didn't notice any related errors. Please advise.

We are unaware of any problems with the upgrade between these two builds and I've just ran a successful upgrade here to test this.

I'm not sure what's happened here but it does sound like the upgrade has failed in some way. If running the installer again doesn't work then it is possible to uninstall / reinstall without losing anything. As long as you specify the existing SQL Monitor database in the "Set up Data Repository" step of the installer then the data will be upgraded.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Hi Chris, I downloaded the new version again and installed the new build of SQL monitor. Now my SQL monitor shows 1593 build in its About section. However, some of my databases still show an Offline status.
  • Options
    Can you confirm that these databases are permanently showing as having an offline status? Sometimes it takes the system a few minutes to settle down after connecting to the servers.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate
  • Options
    Yes Chris, most of the databases on one of my servers show offline status all the time.
  • Options
    chefi_d wrote:
    Yes Chris, most of the databases on one of my servers show offline status all the time.

Apologies for this, we really hoped we'd fixed this in the latest release. I'll reopen the bug.

If you could possibly zip up and email in the SQL Monitor log files on your base monitor machine this might help us find the cause. The location of the log files is explained on this support page: http://www.red-gate.com/supportcenter/c ... LogFilesKB

If you could send them to chris.spencer@red-gate.com that would be great.

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate