Options

Data Compare hangs retrieving schema

tdennistdennis Posts: 11 Bronze 2
Data Compare 10.0.1.119 gets stuck for 30 seconds on each database.

1. Tables & Views : Retrieving schema, Registering databases 83%
2. Compare: Reading DDL triggers 41% and 91%
(one table selected, primary Key of one int column selected, with a where clause for one row, 211 columns selected)

Machine is 64-bit Windows Server 2008 SP1.
One database is local, SQL Server 10.0.4000, 64-bit Developer edition
One is remote, SQL Server 10.0.4064, 32-bit Standard edition
Tried starting a rebooting and starting a new project, still has same problem. Version 9 did not have any trouble.

Running Data Compare 10.0.1.119 from Windows XP SP3 32-bit with the same database and table selection gets stuck for 10-15 seconds at each of the same points.

The lags occur with different servers and databases, but the lag times are different.

Thank you
Traci

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Traci

Thank you for your post into the forum.

I am not aware of any changes between version's 9 and 10 that would cause SQL Data Compare to pause or stall whilst reading DDL Triggers.

A Support colleague has compared the source code in V9 and V10 and there have been no changes to the code that reads in the DDL Triggers.

A support call has been created for you, the call reference number is F0058732.

Can you please turn on the SQL Data Compare Logging and send to us the log file? To turn on the logging, click on the SQL Data Compare icon immediately above the File menu. Change the minimum logging level to verbose if not already set. Run the comparison, when the results are displayed, obtain the log file and send an e-mail to support@red-gate.com with the above call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail with a copy of the log file attached?

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,780 Rose Gold 5
    Hi Traci

Thank you for your patience whilst I investigated your issue.

In my testing, the comparison pauses during the registration phase when reading the DDL Triggers of each database. The pause was for approximately 6 to 7 seconds.

I have submitted a bug report for the SQL Data Compare Development Team to consider. The Bug Report reference is SDC-1341. Sadly if you wish to use V10.0.1.119 of SQL Data Compare there is no workaround the comparison will take longer to complete compared to using V9.1.*.

Hopefully the Development Team will generate a fix for this issue in a future version of SQL Data Compare.

Thank you for bring this issue to our attention.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    tdennistdennis Posts: 11 Bronze 2
    This issue is resolved in SQLDataCompare_10.2.0.315.exe

Thank you!!
    Traci