System.OutOfMemoryException in app protected with SA6

DaveNayDaveNay Posts: 5 Bronze 2
edited April 17, 2012 11:34AM in SmartAssembly
We have been using SmartAssembly for several years on our product (since before redgate). Most recently we were on Version 5.5 (build 153) for quite a while without upgrading. Earlier this week, I upgraded our build server to use Version 6.6.3.41 (current version at the moment). We are now reliably getting System.OutOfMemoryException errors thrown in our application at run time. (There have been some reports of System.OutOfMemoryException in SA itself while building, but this is NOT our situation.) I have even attempted to perform a build of our application with every single SA protection option set to Off/No and we still receive System.OutOfMemoryException at run time.

If I use SA 5.5(build 153) to protect our application, everything works fine (as it has for years). I can flip back and forth between SA5.5 and SA 6.6 feeding in the same binaries, and the results are consistent.

The unprotected binaries also do not produce System.OutOfMemoryException.

Enabling Automated Error Reporting in SA 6.6 yields no additional information.

Any insight anyone could lend me is greatly appreciated, as the primary reason we finally upgraded from 5.5 to 6.6 was due to some odd behavior at run time that went away after the upgrade, so we are currently stuck with one portion of our application working properly only with 5.5 and a different portion working properly only with 6.6.

Thank you,
Dave

Comments

• Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Dave,

SmartAssembly recreates the assembly, so it could be possible some modification caused this to happen, but as you said, it's incredibly difficult to tell if you don't get any error information.

I did see one case where changing from merging to embedding fixed it.

Otherwise, it's going to be a matter of attaching a debugger to your application, getting the stack trace from the point of the exception, and working from there.
  • Out of interest, is your application 64-bit only (as opposed to AnyCPU or 32-bit only)?
  • DaveNayDaveNay Posts: 5 Bronze 2
    Simon C wrote:
    Out of interest, is your application 64-bit only (as opposed to AnyCPU or 32-bit only)?

Hi Simon, sorry for the delay. Yes, our application is 64-bit only.
    Simon C wrote:
    Out of interest, is your application 64-bit only (as opposed to AnyCPU or 32-bit only)?

I just saw the other thread on this forum with the identical issue, and the fix. II will be testing immediately to see if it fixes my issue also.
    DaveNay wrote:
    Simon C wrote:

I just saw the other thread on this forum with the identical issue, and the fix. II will be testing immediately to see if it fixes my issue also.

SmartAssemby 6.6.4.95 has fixed our OutOfMemoryException problems on 64-bit assemblies.

Thanks guys!