Options

Growth rate of data repository

nkellynkelly Posts: 3
edited March 14, 2012 7:51AM in SQL Monitor Previous Versions
I found this documentation on your website:

"What is the growth rate of the SQL Monitor Data Repository?
You should expect the Data Repository database to grow by about 35 - 100 MB per day for each SQL Server instance you are monitoring. If you monitor 10 SQL Servers for a week, your database will increase by between 2 and 7 GB.
Note: This amount will depend on how busy your monitored SQL Servers are, particularly the number of Windows processes, SQL processes and the number of databases on each instance."

Is this regardless of what the purge data timeframe is set to? My data repository is 130GB. Is there any way to shrink that or is it going to continually grow at this rate? It has been installed for less than a year and I am monitoring five servers (8 instances)(182 databases).

Thanks for any advice,
Nicole

Comments

• Options
    Hi Nicole

The growth rate would remain consistent providing you don't add/remove servers but the database size should eventually remain constant as all data rows older than the purge setting are removed.

Is your data repository still growing or is it constant at ~130GB? Also what are your purge settings?

The only way to reduce the stored data is to lower the purge settings. If you've already reduced the settings but have seen no size reduction then it's likely due to the fact that SQL Server by default doesn't remove unused pages. As far as I know the only way to do this is using the DBCC SHRINKDATABASE and DBCC SHRINKFILE commands or the equivalent in SQL Server Management Studio.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms189080.aspx

Regards
    Chris
    Chris Spencer
    Test Engineer
    Red Gate