Options

Migration Scipts picking up non-selected commits

When creating the migration script if the developer goes through "cherry-picking" the commit(s) that they wish to include in the migration script. It appears that non-selected commits that are between the selected ones are being picked up.
For example if the developer chooses commit 1 and 3 and skips 2 the objects in commit 2 are still showing in the migration script.

Comments

• Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    Thanks for posting - so just to check, you're going to Migrations, clicking the button to add a migration script for uncommitted changes, then un-ticking some of the objects?

When you proceed it should warn you about dependencies at that point; and if you just OK past that, then it'll probably still be including them.

If that doesn't explain it, it may be useful if you can mail us directly with some screenshots to demonstrate what happens - you can contact support@red-gate.com, quoting F0057935 in the subject line.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

• Options
    James BJames B Posts: 1,124 Silver 4
    We've just been checking this a little more and my assumption in my previous message was probably wrong.
    It sounds more like you're using the "For specific changes" option; and selecting a couple of different revisions by selecting with the CTRL key but maybe not including one or more between the two. When you generate your script, it still includes the changes the unselected scripts contained?

If so, this is normal - it's more a case of the interface not correctly stopping you doing it (i.e. it should ideally force you to select a continuous set of changes).

Creating a migration script for unrelated changes makes no sense, because there could be all sorts of dependent changes in the interim script that you didn't select that you would then be excluding - so really, when you pick two revisions by holding down CTRL, you need to think of it more as "create a script from "this" revision to "that" revision.

Hope that explains it; but I agree the interface could make this more obvious.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software