3.0.5.7: Working Base folder cleanup - how?

PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
I have 58 Working Base folders, some dating back to October 2010.

Is there some automated cleanup? If so, it appears to be malfunctioning...

If not, how can we effect manual cleanup, SAFELY, please?

(Trying hard to ignore the Asteroids Easter-egg!)
Jesus Christ: Lunatic, liar or Lord?
Decide wisely...

Comments

• rrerre Posts: 42 Bronze 2
    This is great question. Its the same for me.
    It there any possibility to cleanup the working base folders?
  • PDinCAPDinCA Posts: 642 Silver 1
    Is there a reason why the Working Base folders are under the version ONE product-labeled folder? E.g.,
    C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\SQL Source Control 1\WorkingBasesThe "Transients" folder under the version THREE product appears to be extremely similarly structured, and coincidentally there are five folders, corresponding to the five databases I have under SSC. They only appear to lack the configuration file...

Can a Red Gate expert comment on these, please?

(Server is Windows 2003)
    Decide wisely...
  • Hi - sorry for not replying sooner. We're not automatically alerted to new posts that have been answered already.

When you upgrade (say from 1 > 2 or 2 > 3) the working bases are not all remapped, so potentially you could still be using a valid working base from one of the 2.0 or 1.0 folders. Because of this, we wouldn't recommend deleting them straight away.

There's a couple of options- one is to ensure all changes are committed, then unlink and relink all the databases you have. At this point, all working bases will now be in the version 3.0 folder, and the version 1 and 2 folders can safely be removed.

The other option is to do a CTRL+SHIFT+Right-click on the link path on the setup tab for each database- this opens up the Working base folder for that DB, so you can check which are actually in use. Other ones should be okay to delete.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

Thanks, James.

Perhaps Red Gate would entertain a system similar to many, many other forums where the post is tagged as "Answered" either by the original poster or by a moderator. At least we wouldn't have to keep prodding Red Gate for a response when an interested party/fellow sufferer has posted a "Reply".

A "reply" is not a "resolution"... :wink:
    Decide wisely...
  • Actually, its funny you say that. I believe we are already looking at migrating the forums to a more useful format, so stay tuned. As ever, more urgent queries should be directed to our support email address so we are immediately aware.
    Systems Software Engineer

Redgate Software

+1 for the Forum Migration! 8)
    Decide wisely...