Options

SQL Prompt 5.2.2.1 freezes the SSMS when editing SP

cguanescguanes Posts: 18 Bronze 3
edited March 9, 2012 9:55AM in SQL Prompt Previous Versions
I have a SP that every time that I have to edit it, I need to turn the SQL Prompt off or my SSMS will freeze.

The SP use a lot of temporary table (#table) and parsing XML.

Is this a known issue? Any patch for it?
Carlos Guanes

Comments

• Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    Thank you for your post into the forum.

I have known when working with a large script that performance falls off when away from the caret.

So I can reproduce the error, would it be possible to get a copy of your SP?

A support call has been created for you, the call reference number is F0057164. If you could please attached a copy of your SP as a text file to an e-mail, I can then modify it to see if I can reproduce your error. Also if you can include in the e-mail, the version of SQL Server you are using?

Please send the e-mail to support@red-gate.com and include the call reference number in the subject field of the e-mail.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com
  • Options
    EdCardenEdCarden Posts: 137 Silver 2
    I too experience a freeze or lockup of SSMS (versin 2008 R2) when SQL Prompt is enabled but mine occurs when I am typing in a table join and get the keyword ON. After the N in ON is typed SSMS freezes and is unresposive for several seconds and sometime may take 10-15 seconds or more.

The only consistency I can find is that its the first instance of ON following the listing of 2 tables in the FROM clause. The next table joins all occur with no issue and no freeze. I thought the probelm was with a specific table but additional testing just now showed me its always the first table join that does this.

EXAMPLE:

SELECT A.*, B.*
    FROM TABLEA A Join TABLEB B ON

AT this point, after typing ON SSMS will freeze up.

I have not tested this with SP's myself.
  • Options
    Eddie DEddie D Posts: 1,781 Rose Gold 5
    A bug report has been submitted for the SQL Prompt Development Team to consider. The reference for this Bug Report is SP-4282. At this time the bug is being investigated and therefore unresolved.

Many Thanks
    Eddie
    Eddie Davis
    Senior Product Support Engineer
    Redgate Software Ltd
    Email: support@red-gate.com