Options

ANTS Extremely slow in analyzing the results

DSKYDSKY Posts: 7
We are evaluating the 6.3 on a very powerful machine with 128gb ram [Win/SQL 2008 R2 Enterprise 64bit]. The storage is a solid state raid and still ANTS is very slow to work with. GUI freezes all the time.

The profiled app just connects to an SQL server, retrieves 100.000 rows and iterates them. Not something I'd expect to be a profiler killer. Other profilers worked fine.

After each profiling session I have to wait 5 mins to be able to work with the gui "Retrieving the Results". Then if we eg. change the period, recalculation takes another year. It only consumes 1 core full (only 4% of the machine's power) during that period.

We moved the temp to ssd with setting RDTEMP system variable. Still no changes.

Is there anything we can do?

Comments

• Options
    We wanted to performance profile our application, we ended up performance profiling the performance profiler.

Life is like a box of chocolate.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi,

I'm sorry to see ANTS Performance Profiler has given you this trouble. Unfortunately from the supplied information I can't tell you why it's doing this and the vast majority of customers do not have this experience.

However, I'd say the difference between most other profilers and ANTS is the SQL and I/O profiling - do you see similar results if you turn those off? (Do not record SQL and I/O performance)

You may also be unintentionally profiling other processes (Profile child processes setting).