Upgraded to 3.0.4.40 - FILLFACTOR Problem

atothatoth Posts: 10
Hi

I've just upgraded but now many tables in my source control are showing up as changed due to the fact that FILLFACTOR is not being ignored in the compare.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Thanks
Adam

Comments

• csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

Just to explain why this behaviour has changed - we had a number of requests to stop ignoring FILLFACTOR and INDEXPADDING by default in the comparisons that SQL Source Control performs. Ignoring these changes is the default option for SQL Compare, but we thought it was a change that SQL Source Control users would generally want to see.

However, what we really want to do is allow the user to configure this setting (as they can in SQL Compare)....

Therefore, we are currently working on adding a comparison options configuration file to SQL Source Control that will allow the user to set FILLFACTOR to be ignored if they so wish.

We are hoping to release this in the next few weeks via our 'Check For Updates' mechanism. I will add a post to this thread when that build is available.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software
  • TheSQLGuruTheSQLGuru Posts: 78 Silver 2
    csmith wrote:
    Hi

Just to explain why this behaviour has changed - we had a number of requests to stop ignoring FILLFACTOR and INDEXPADDING by default in the comparisons that SQL Source Control performs. Ignoring these changes is the default option for SQL Compare, but we thought it was a change that SQL Source Control users would generally want to see.

However, what we really want to do is allow the user to configure this setting (as they can in SQL Compare)....

Therefore, we are currently working on adding a comparison options configuration file to SQL Source Control that will allow the user to set FILLFACTOR to be ignored if they so wish.

We are hoping to release this in the next few weeks via our 'Check For Updates' mechanism. I will add a post to this thread when that build is available.

Best regards,
    Chris

I to want to see some configuration options in the SSC compare.
    Kevin G. Boles
    SQL Server MVP 2007-2012
    Indicium Resources, Inc.
  • csmithcsmith Posts: 138 Bronze 1
    Hi

SQL Source Control v3.0.5.7 includes a mechanism to allow 'Ignore FillFactor' to be configured.

To get this version, please run Check For Updates from the Help menu in SQL Source Control. This is a free upgrade for existing licensed v3 users and for users with a Support & Upgrades contract.

Comparison options can now be set via a configuration file in your database repository's Working Base folder. The following Knowledge Base support article describes how to configure this option:
    KB201202000521 - Setting SQL Compare options within SQL Source Control

Our plan in the future is to provide an options dialog to allow users to configure the comparison options that are changed most often (which is likely to include fillfactor), but we believe this configuration file procedure should help users in the interim.

If you'd like to see an options dialog exposing these settings in SQL Source Control, please vote on the associated Idea on our UserVoice site. It'd be great if you could also leave a comment indicating which specific options you'd like to see in the dialog.

Best regards,
    Chris
    Divisional Development Lead
    Redgate Software