Options

SQL Object Level Recovery native - Select Backup Source time

gsc_ghxgsc_ghx Posts: 73
edited January 19, 2012 10:46AM in SQL Object Level Recovery Native 1
I have a 300gb database that I need to recover a few tables. I have selected the Backup Source (a full and a diff). The Diff file has the green check mark next to it, but the full still has the 'clock icon'. IT has been like that now for over 8 hours. How long does it take to validate this size of a file?

When this is running - what exactly is it doing? I don't see it loading information into memory or writing to my local disk? We are just curious what the process is behind the program.

Thanks
Geri Sue Coe :?

Comments

• Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    Hi Geri,

If the backup file in question is a native backup, then the program has to seek all the way to the end of the file to find the "header" information. I realize that sounds a bit tail-about-head but MS has to do this for compatibility with tape drives.

SQL Backup files put the header at the front, so may work faster.

Either way, though, this operation should take minutes rather than hours.

I'm also aware that there is a search for the first page containing the schema, and that can be time-consuming.

I suppose the only way to work out what this software is actually doing is to debug it.
  • Options
    Brian DonahueBrian Donahue Posts: 6,590 Bronze 1
    You may also want to check for log files in %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data\Red Gate\Logs to see if there is anything useful in there.